A Few Crinoids

Guest solius symbiosus

Guest solius symbiosus

these are a few Crinoids I've collected around central Ky. All are Ordovician unless noted otherwise

DSCN0046.jpg

Iocrinus(?) Curdsville Mb Lexington Lm

DSCN0037.jpg

Columbicrinus sp. Claysferry Fm. I found 10 of these in a hug slab in various states af weathering.

DSCN0047.jpg

Glyptocrinus sp. with coprolitic Clyclonema.

DSCN0044.jpg

unidentified Borden Mb Miss.

DSCN0039.jpgDSCN0041.jpg

Cystoid Caryocrinites sp. I can't recall the formation, but it is Upper Silurian from Cheerokee Park in Lousiville Ky. I used to find one there just about everytime I went to the Park. :P

Guest Nicholas

Very very nice Crinoids, I haven't found any myself yet but I expect to find surplus amounts when I am in that area this summer. I have a few in my collection now and I just find them so very interesting, a great study piece. Good Finds :)

On the cystoid.. are they a kind of blastoid or a crinoid?

The cystoid reminds me of a blastoid, is why I am asking.

I have always liked blastoids, etc.

Cool finds!

Welcome to the forum!

Guest solius symbiosus
On the cystoid.. are they a kind of blastoid or a crinoid?

The cystoid reminds me of a blastoid, is why I am asking.

I have always liked blastoids, etc.

Cool finds!

All three are similar. Cystoids are a distinct Class just like the blastoids and crinoids.

Guest solius symbiosus
Very very nice Crinoids, I haven't found any myself yet but I expect to find surplus amounts when I am in that area this summer. I have a few in my collection now and I just find them so very interesting, a great study piece. Good Finds :)

They are very rare finds around Ky. I used to find ... maybe 1 a year when I used to hunt several times a week. I did however find a spot in Louisville, where just about everytime I went, I found one of the Caryocrinites. Shoot me a PM when you go, and I will give you the location.

Ah, how all that Ordovician stuff reminds me of days of yore! I cut my paleo teeth on Cincinnatian material. Now I think I'll pull out my Flexicalamene/Ectenocrinus Riker for a nostalgic long look...

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."