Free digital loupe with examples

GDawg

I posted this at the end of another post but wanted to give everyone a better chance to evaluate this. Using an old disposable camera, you can remove the front lens and attach it to your camera to turn your iphone into a macro camera or loupe. I am not sure of the magnification but have provided pics to give an example. I takes a steady hand to take pics indoors but is easier to view than with a geology loupe in my opinion. First is a pic of the parts you need to remove from the camera. then two pics using regular iphone camera and digital zoom. then 2 pics using free lens. I would love to know what the more experienced fossil hunters think.

post-20242-0-16590100-1450451776_thumb.jpg

post-20242-0-20357200-1450451777_thumb.jpg

post-20242-0-01856300-1450451773_thumb.jpg

post-20242-0-45593100-1450451774_thumb.jpg

post-20242-0-34934200-1450451775_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Twitter @mgadomskiSEMS

The results are surprisingly good!

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Raggedy Man,

You can put a geology loupe over the lens too, but I have found that there is less aberration on the edges using this. Other cheap lenses will work. I even saw a video using the disposable camera lens and the metal part of a flip around usb flash drive so that it clips on...Iwil see if I can find the link.

Found it...

http://www.cnet.com/videos/diy-iphone-macro-lens/

Edited by GDawg

Twitter @mgadomskiSEMS