Suggestive, Artisia, or Something Else?

icycatelf

50fyxw4.jpg

I saw this in a mudslide next to my house and immediately thought Trilobite (though I highly doubt that's what it actually is since I've been told this area isn't a "true marine deposit"). It may actually be a rounded-off Artisia (maybe even Calamites) or just something geological. It's only 2.5cm long. I didn't take pictures of the other side because I didn't see much going on, but let me know if you need one.

Help is appreciated as usual!

Edited by icycatelf

Casual surface-collector and Pokémon fan. QPn3FY1.gif

a rock?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

The material looks like metamorphic rock; not a fossil.

post-423-0-50835200-1450736320_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The reason I posted it is because I noticed these lines (which are a lot more prominent in-person, depending on the angle anyway):

u6bgg9b.jpg

It still may just be a rock, though. I might take some more pictures on a brighter day.

Edited by icycatelf

Is this object heavy or light weight?

It's about the weight of a nickel.

The lines are alternating layers of more and less resistant mineral; they may be an artifact of sedimentary layers that existed before they were metamorphosed by weight and heat. When the material weathered out, broke up, and was stream tumbled, this piece was abraded to the form you see now.

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The lines are alternating layers of more and less resistant mineral; they may be an artifact of sedimentary layers that existed before they were metamorphosed by weight and heat. When the material weathered out, broke up, and was stream tumbled, this piece was abraded to the form you see now.

Thanks for the info! It's always disappointing to hear that something you think might be a fossil is in fact not, but I always learn something from it. (Now if only I could find a fossil of whatever animal left that trace fossil I found a while back...)

Edited by icycatelf