Myrtle Beach Sc Finds

fossilcole

Hi, I am a recent new member from the UK. I had the opportunity of visiting Myrtle Beach a couple of weeks ago and first of all, I would like to thank those of you that offered some help of where to look. It worked for me although it is difficult to ascertain how good I did in a short space of time. The main beach area I work on the south coast of England (Selsey / Bracklesham Bay) is approximately 3 miles long and I know how difficult it can be sometimes to locate good patches. I guess Myrtle Beach is about 20 miles long, so a bit daunting on where to start! I found - 3 good (in my opinion) Galeocerdo Cuvier and several Megs and some other yet to be determined teeth and a small vertebra. (Any help or suggestions welcomed) Biggest Tiger about 30mm wide and 27mm along the blade, biggest meg about 27mm. Just for fun, I have included a comparison picture of my biggest Galeocerdo Latidens from Bracklesham, UK.

The location I worked was just off the North Ocean Boulevard and down either 37th or 38th Avenue North. There are a handful of public parking slots. Once on the beach, I walked north along the spoil line as the tide was going out.

Needless to say, I am back in the UK now ... its raining!!!

post-1392-1240043323_thumb.jpg

post-1392-1240043509_thumb.jpg

In the first pic, middle row, 2nd & 3rd teeth; are they Great White?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Great Black - used to be Great White would be my Great Guess.

Id say they were GW's. I was there a few months back, and found a few GW's. I watched a guy pick up a 3 in GW about 15 feet in front of me. Thats what I get for being slow. I like the Tiger shark teeth. Those are always fun to find

Ok thanks, that seems to be the consensus. I think 3 and 4 may be Bull Shark. The small tooth (last one 3rd row) may be cretacious??

Ok thanks, that seems to be the consensus. I think 3 and 4 may be Bull Shark. The small tooth (last one 3rd row) may be cretacious??

I meant 4th and 5th may be Bull Shark.

Nice collection for such a short trip! I agree with the GWs, but I would love to see a close up of the last tooth in the 3rd row.

Nice collection for such a short trip! I agree with the GWs, but I would love to see a close up of the last tooth in the 3rd row.

That one caught my eye as different also. Make that two votes for a close up of that tooth :D

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

Another vote for a close up pic of that tooth, as well as the last one in the bottom row. It does appear to be perhaps a Cretalalmna.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Nice finds. My wife was down at Mrytle Beach last weekend (payback for my trip to Lee Creek) and she found several nice sandtigers and a perfect fossilized sand dollar. Location was between first and third ave areas of Myrtle Beach.

Another vote for a close up pic of that tooth, as well as the last one in the bottom row. It does appear to be perhaps a Cretalalmna.

OK, let me know if this pic is good enough?? If not, I'l try again tomorrow. It is gone midnight here in UK!!post-1392-1240183280_thumb.jpg

The photo could be larger and cropped to eliminate most of the plain background, but I'll stand by my assuption of a Cretalamna

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

The photo could be larger and cropped to eliminate most of the plain background, but I'll stand by my assuption of a Cretalamna

Ok, this should crack it.post-1392-1240252422_thumb.jpg

Ok, this should crack it.post-1392-1240252422_thumb.jpg

I took the liberty of gently tweaking the image. :)

post-423-1240258069_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I took the liberty of gently tweaking the image. :)

I am humbkled ..... especially after the 6 pints of special brew tonight ...hic !!!

Definitely could be right on that last tooth. I have found several of those in cretaceous sites before. Great finds though. I was at Myrtle Beach this weekend and didn't find anything. :angry:

DO, or do not. There is no try.