Please help a rookie identify his first fossils (devonian)

matgerke

Hello all, just tried fossil hunting for the first time, and found a few fossils that didnt crumble away when i touched them. I know they are not very exciting fossils, but any help identifying them would be much appreciated!

They were found in a shale pit near ithaca new york, in an area that i have read is middle devonian. All are quite small. A quarter is in one of the photos for scale.

Thank you!

Matt

Your first two images are trilobite parts.

First is a Greenops sp. pygidium, or tail shield.

Second is an imprint of an Eldredgeops sp. cephalon, or head shield.

Third is a brachiopod, most likely Rhipodomella penelope. The top of the shell is missing, or not well preserved at all.

Fourth is an Eldredgeops sp. trilobite cephalon.

Neat finds. Are these from Portland point?

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19
  • I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Very nice! I had expected them to have an oranger complexion, if they're form the VA/MD area.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thank you so much for the identifications, FossilDude19.

Yes, from Portland Point. I take it you have been there. I had a terrible time extracting the fossils without them disintegrating. Any suggestions for how approach crumbly shale without destroying the fossils?

Edited by matgerke

Yes, from Portland Point. I take it you have been there. I had a terrible time extracting the fossils without them disintegrating. Any suggestions for how approach crumbly shale without destroying the fossils?

Please, call me Tim. :)

I have actually never been there, but a few on the Forum have.

I recognized the look of the fossils and the description of the crumbly shale near Ithaca. ;)

I have no experience there, but Marley's Ghost is a frequent collector there - he may have some tips for you.

Try sending him a Private Message By going to his profile and clicking the send message button.

Neat finds. :)

Regards,

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

Ah, New York. I thought you might have been collecting semi-locally. :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Those look really nice. I wish I could find trilobites like that, my collection seems to be of almost every Paleozoic marine group but that. Great finds :)

Trilobites are my favorite. Every time someone post one I get a little excited!!

Welcome to The Fossil Forum Matt and thanks for sharing!

The shale in the pit at Portland Point does weather fairly quickly. You best bet is to pick a spot and work down to "fresh" rock. Look where other people have done similar excavations as a clue to the particularly fossiliferous layers. And make sure you stay in front of the safety rope defining the allowed collecting area.

• I found this Informative 2

Karl A. Wilson
(NY Paleontology): http://bingweb.binghamton.edu/~kwilson/home.htm

By the way, These are some good links to Sources for Identifying your finds:

LINK 1

LINK 2

Regards,

I wasn't online yesterday, but now I've replied to Matt's PM. And I'll repeat my welcome to TFF and to Portland Point!

By the way, I agree with the earlier identifications of the fossils (all pretty common at Portland Point, although Greenops specimens, particularly complete ones, are much rarer than the Eldgredgeops) and with Karl's advice to use a hammer and chisel to pry up fresh slabs of shale, instead of looking for fossils among the loose and crumbly shale on the surface.

• I found this Informative 1