Scanning Electron Microscope - Just for Fun

dre464

When the wheels of industry grind to a halt, one looks for ways to occupy their time while on the clock. I was recently trained on using a scanning electron microscope, but I felt like I needed more practice :) . I've been wanting to see how some of my fossils might look at high magnification, soooooooooo......

First, I tried an Engonoceras serpentinum (the one on the right) that I recently found in the Waco Research Pit.

post-18428-0-69497600-1452130369_thumb.jpg

Under the microscope, it looks like this...

post-18428-0-27241700-1452130476_thumb.jpg post-18428-0-43533500-1452130495_thumb.jpg

I also checked out a pyritized ammonite that my wife found.

post-18428-0-49983600-1452130581_thumb.jpg

Under the microscope, it looked like this...

post-18428-0-20796600-1452130638_thumb.jpg

This was fun, but it got me thinking. The more highly damaged, pyritized ammonite seems to have a different crystal structure than the better preserved Engonoceras. Could it be that one is pyrite and the other marcasite? Or has the more damaged specimen simply oxidized from pyrite to a different mineral form? Or are the crystals simply more tightly packed on the Engonoceras and therefore I'm just unable to tell that the minerals have the same general shape?

Thanks for enduring my stream of consciousness...

• I found this Informative 1

"Men became scientific because they expected Law in Nature, and they expected Law in Nature because they believed in a Legislator." - C.S. Lewis

:wub:

I surrender to the SEM images.... :D

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Perhaps ... what you're seeing is that the undamaged specimen had a "tighter" (smaller & more closely bonded) crystaline structure in the replacemnt mineral than the second specimen therefore better resisting breakage . This is based on my assumption that the magnifications are similar in the two SEM photos. As far as I know Pyrite "oxidizes" to sulfur & iron compounds not marcasite though I may be wrong.

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno

I saw a used SEM for sale on eBay years ago (for sale by some university who upgraded). I'm kicking myself for not buying it now. I love macro photography and this is about as "macro" (micro) as it gets. Loving the images. Please look for an excuse to run some more fossils through the SEM.

Cheers.

-Ken