Peace River micro fossils

old bones

This might be a tooth from a very young crocodile or alligator. I find similar ones in the Cretaceous.

attachicon.gifoldbonestooth.jpg

Here is a close up of modern crocodile teeth that have a somewhat similar shape. Very young modern alligator teeth are similar.

attachicon.gifcroc.JPG

Excellent! Thank you Eric. :) I have also found similarly sized and shaped teeth in my S.D. Cretaceous matrix... I just never made the connection.

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

I'd lean toward gator as well. I've found some tiny gator teeth in micro-matrix before (but probably about twice the size of the one you've pictured). The first impulse when finding tiny pointed teeth like this in micro-matrix, that are obviously not shark teeth, is to assume fish teeth--of which there are a variety of shapes commonly found. The conical root end and general "bullet shaped" form with what appear to be two worn ridges or "seams" running from the tip down to the root on opposite sides are all features that I find in the larger gator teeth that are frequent finds in the Peace River. Croc teeth have more than two ridges running along the tooth (and tend to be slimmer and less robust) and so can usually be easily distinguished from gators. It's always fun when you find tiny teeth of a creature you know can get so much larger--like some Tiger Shark and Hemipristis (Snaggletooth) teeth only a few millimeters across. Tiny can be cool too--but of course I'm preaching to the choir here.

Cheers.

-Ken

I'd lean toward gator as well. I've found some tiny gator teeth in micro-matrix before (but probably about twice the size of the one you've pictured). The first impulse when finding tiny pointed teeth like this in micro-matrix, that are obviously not shark teeth, is to assume fish teeth--of which there are a variety of shapes commonly found. The conical root end and general "bullet shaped" form with what appear to be two worn ridges or "seams" running from the tip down to the root on opposite sides are all features that I find in the larger gator teeth that are frequent finds in the Peace River. Croc teeth have more than two ridges running along the tooth (and tend to be slimmer and less robust) and so can usually be easily distinguished from gators. It's always fun when you find tiny teeth of a creature you know can get so much larger--like some Tiger Shark and Hemipristis (Snaggletooth) teeth only a few millimeters across. Tiny can be cool too--but of course I'm preaching to the choir here.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thanks, Ken. And yes, I do think about the size of the creatures that these tiny teeth belonged to... so many baby sharks shedding their first teeth for instance. I think it's funny how I find the miniature forms of the mature size teeth that you River hunters find.

Tiny is way cool. ;)

Julianna

I now need to go back through my jar of tiny fish teeth and see if any of them could be tiny gator or croc teeth!

I have really enjoyed your micro post! Your finds are splendid and thank you for sharing. Beautiful pictures of the micro's too!

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

I now need to go back through my jar of tiny fish teeth and see if any of them could be tiny gator or croc teeth!

I know what you mean... I wonder how many I have missed.

I have really enjoyed your micro post! Your finds are splendid and thank you for sharing. Beautiful pictures of the micro's too!

Thanks, Libby :) I am sure enjoying exploring this tiny world of fossils.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Beautiful photos and presentation. Also some great finds! Thank you!

You have found some crazy good stuff in your matrix. Nice!

Thank you both for having a look. :)