post-1376-1240198664_thumb.jpg

Hi --

I found this tooth in a creek in Gainesville, Florida --

anyone know what it is?

(I'm new to this....)

Thanks!

--Erica

Welcome to the forum, Erica.

Your tooth appears to be a carnivore carnasial tooth. An uncommon find in the creeks.

For identifying teeth, it is most helpful to show both sides plus the occlusal surface (the meetingplace of upper and lower teeth)

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Welcome to the forum, Erica.

Your tooth appears to be a carnivore carnasial tooth. An uncommon find in the creeks.

For identifying teeth, it is most helpful to show both sides plus the occlusal surface (the meetingplace of upper and lower teeth)

Is there anyway to narrow it down at least to feline, canine, other? I guess a couple of more pix would help.

Cool find Erica!

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Hi --

Oh yes, I have more pictures... just didn't want to overdo it, first time on the forum and all...

Thank you for your enthusiasm & help with identification!

Erica

post-1376-1240224939_thumb.jpg

post-1376-1240224954_thumb.jpg

post-1376-1240224964_thumb.jpg

I'll go with Canis, likely an M1. Since it was found in a creek there's no telling the age of the layer it came from so I won't venture any farther than that.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

I'll go with Canis, likely an M1. Since it was found in a creek there's no telling the age of the layer it came from so I won't venture any farther than that.

-Joe

Neat! I look forward to learning more.

You are right, that there is no way to tell what strata it came from - the creek bottom was all sand, and I was hunting in areas on the bottom where debris had gathered from upstream. And among the broken glass and waterlogged hickory nuts, I found this tooth (and a bunch of small sharks teeth). So, somewhere upstream in Hogtown Creek, NW Gainesville (I was right in town - between 8th & 16th Ave).

But even if I don't know where exactly it came from, is it possible to know how old the fossil must be at a minimum? Or a range of possible ages?

Thanks again,

Erica

Hi Erica and Welcome to the forum. I am new at this but I going with canis only because that's what I have been reading about lately. Pic you will never post to many. We like pic almost as much as we like fossils. Nice find I think you should head back and see what else is there.

Seldom

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

wow that is cool all i ever find are crabs and clams not that im complaining lol

look forward to seeing more of your finds

:gator: :gator: :gator:

i came saw drooled and collected

Welcome to the board from a fellow G'ville creek hunter! That's certainly not a common find in Gainesville. Congrats on the great find.

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

Welcome to the board from a fellow G'ville creek hunter! That's certainly not a common find in Gainesville. Congrats on the great find.

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! I am very happy to be part of such an enthusiastic community of paleotreasure hunters!

If I find out more about what this tooth is (from someone other than a member of this forum) I'll be sure to post the info!

Erica

-Joe

Er . . . the upper carnasial of a canid is premolar 4 (P4), not M1.

Canis is a reasonable guess. Judging by the erosion of the roots, the dentin exposed on the occlusal surface eroded away faster than the enamel, leaving the cratered effect.

Here's another canid that wore out its carnasial.

post-42-1240257982_thumb.jpg

What seest thou else

Er . . . the upper carnasial of a canid is premolar 4 (P4), not M1.

Canis is a reasonable guess. Judging by the erosion of the roots, the dentin exposed on the occlusal surface eroded away faster than the enamel, leaving the cratered effect.

Here's another canid that wore out its carnasial.

post-42-1240257982_thumb.jpg

Wow! This is so exciting! Thank you so much, Harry, for generously providing me with information and photos.

Now I understand how it could be a carnasial tooth and be so flattened. So, would this mean it is from an older animal?

This tooth is about 1.7 cm across -- the one in the picture looks like it is about 3.5 cm. So if the tooth I have is from a mature animal, then it is probably from a smaller species, yes? Is there a way to know what species is could be? And / or Is there a way to know what geological era it may have been from?

Thanks again,

Erica

of course it would be very exciting to find a fossil tooth of the biggest canine that ever lived...

of course it would be very exciting to find a fossil tooth of the biggest canine that ever lived...

Erica, Erica, Erica! Have you been cheating, researching on the Internet? I guess that's how you know that Epicyon haydeni IS the biggest canid ever (in Florida, at least). Notice I said "canid" because the convention requires that a member of the Family CANIDAE is a canid. ("Canine" is generally used for a tooth position in many different animals.)

So, congratulations on your find, and congratulations on all you have learned as a consequence of your find! Objects do drive learning.

:applause:

What seest thou else

Oh, yes, these days learning IS learning from the internet. (which, don't forget, is how I met you characters in the first place). Combined with getting your feet wet, of course.

-- Erica

Erica, I would say that you made a great creek find WTG. I also will have to agree with Harry on that. Very cool Erica ! We will do a hunt soon.. say hello to Nicole for me. B)B)B):D

post-23-1240268159_thumb.png

It's my bone!!!

Hey Mike -

Great to hear from you! Yes, I definitely want to go out again.

So do you have any more details for me? How do I find out what species it could have been? Is it possible to know how old the fossil is, just based on it being a big canid in Florida?

thanks for the applause, but really... just lucky!

Erica

Harry,

Thanks for the follow up info.

You are certainly part of the internet research now, too!!

As for Canid vice canine, I only ever had MARINE biology so not much exposure to land dwelling stuff...

O

Erica, Erica, Erica! Have you been cheating, researching on the Internet? I guess that's how you know that Epicyon haydeni IS the biggest canid ever (in Florida, at least). Notice I said "canid" because the convention requires that a member of the Family CANIDAE is a canid. ("Canine" is generally used for a tooth position in many different animals.)

So, congratulations on your find, and congratulations on all you have learned as a consequence of your find! Objects do drive learning.

:applause:

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Thanks everyone for the interest & support!

I've sent an email to the vertebrate paleontology folks at the Florida Museum of Natural History. They have a fossil ID 'service' (free for a fossil or two, and they request donations to their research program if you ask for a bunch of help). They specialize in fossils from Florida and the Caribbean. Here's their website:

Florida Museaum of Natural History Fossil ID Website

I will let you know what they say!

Erica

OK -- fossil ID from Richard Hulbert at the Florida Museum of Natural History --

It is a worn premolar of Bison antiquus from the Pleistocene. From the indentations it matches the premolar pretty exactly (he showed me an intact lower jaw). The small 'third root' is just an abnormality particular to this individual.

So, an extinct bison species. Neat.

bison_antiquus_p1350717.jpg

Erica