Mazon Creek Fauna Identification Confirmations Requested

Jones1rocks

I've tentatively identified a number of Mazon pieces in my possession, and I was wondering if I could get some confirmations or corrections from those of you (all of you) who are more knowledgeable and experienced than I.

The first (#1) based on length, fossilization curvature, and the pyritized mouth and throat slit, I believe to be Gilpichthys greenei.

post-6617-0-07970400-1453318358_thumb.jpgpost-6617-0-12411500-1453318366_thumb.jpg

Number 2 most resembles Eucaenus ovalis, but with no evident wing structures. I felt at one time that there was a chance it could be Astreptoscolex anasillosus, but there seems to be an appendage in place that wouldn't fit with that identification.

post-6617-0-65492800-1453330975_thumb.jpgpost-6617-0-27208500-1453330976_thumb.jpg

Number 3 I believe most resembles the spiny millipede Euphoberia, but the stringy end projections and embryonic-sac-looking object in the center has given me pause.

post-6617-0-55934100-1453331159_thumb.jpgpost-6617-0-16905300-1453331160_thumb.jpg

Number 4 , I realize is most likely Essexella asherae, but I am holding out hope over rationality that it's a Reticulomedusa greenei, because of its size, and no other particular reason. The cavities appear to be infilled with sphalerite.

post-6617-0-43071800-1453331367_thumb.jpgpost-6617-0-15008900-1453331368_thumb.jpg

Number 5 looks very much like an Anthracomedusa turnbulli because of its very flat and boxy shape, and, if I use my imagination, I think I can make out two pedalia. A mass of tentacle shadows, however, I cannot see.

post-6617-0-46141500-1453331574_thumb.jpgpost-6617-0-39664800-1453331575_thumb.jpg

Finally, number 6, I believe to be most likely a Cyelus americanus, but possibly a Halicyne max, as I cannot note a shield notch. Interestingly, I did not see a picture of the ventral side of the organisms in Jack Wittry's book; apparently, in my specimen, there are visible appendages and obvious points of attachment, but I don't know if it's largely different between the two.

Thank you for your time, and I hope I have not broken any rules of The Fossil Forum etiquette by posting such a large number of pieces at one time for comments.

~Paul

post-6617-0-53208300-1453332048_thumb.jpgpost-6617-0-52530900-1453332049_thumb.jpg

I think #2 may be a Didontogaster cordylina.

#6 is definitely a Cyclus. Most likely C.americanus.

I'm not experienced enough to confirm anything. Sorry.

• I found this Informative 1

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

I would agree that #1 is a Gilpichthys.

#2 appears to be a poorly preserved polychaete. I think I can make out a tooth structure which would tentatively identify it as Didontogaster.

#3 is very difficult to determine based on the pictures. I think I can make out a few spines so it is possibly a spiny millipede. If it is, it may be worth having the piece professionally cleaned.

#4 is probably not a fossil and just mineralization.

#5 is an Essexella jellyfish

#6 is a Cylus americanus

• I found this Informative 2

#3 is very difficult to determine based on the pictures. I think I can make out a few spines so it is possibly a spiny millipede. If it is, it may be worth having the piece professionally cleaned.

Rob,

Is there someone you could recommend, or a website link to a professional fossil cleaning person? And thank you for your valuable responses to my inquiries on identification. I've gone through your gallery of photographs over and over as it helps me recognize certain features in the Mazon concretions.

~Paul

Hi Paul,

Feel free to send me a PM and I can direct you to a preparator who specializes in prepping Mazon fossils

• 1 year later...

I recently collected a bunch of nodules from Mazon Creek and was ecstatic when I found some that had already cracked open. Now I spend hours staring at the macro photos I've taken of them and the photos in Rob's gallery. I had no idea how abstract these fossils could be and how hard it is to identify them.