Looking to buy a Keichousaurus fossil. Where to go?

MarielleK

Thinking about it ebay is full of these. Find one you like that is being sold from a non Chinese seller and post it. You will get lots of opinions.

That's good advice, but be wary even if the seller is outside China, there has recently been an American seller that has been selling faked fossils including turtles and a keich looking fossil.

Sometimes the seller is listed as another country but it can come from China or HK.

• I found this Informative 1

While looking on ebay, several listings have pictures of an x-Ray of the fossil. I'm assuming the answer is yes, but is there a way for them to fake it so it will show up on an X-Ray or ct scan?

While looking on ebay, several listings have pictures of an x-Ray of the fossil. I'm assuming the answer is yes, but is there a way for them to fake it so it will show up on an X-Ray or ct scan?

I'm pretty sure lead paint can be detected on X-rays, so that may be a way?

I'm pretty sure lead paint can be detected on X-rays, so that may be a way?

I always take an x-Ray before I start to prep a Keichousaurus.

I guess you are right, lead paint could be a way to fool you. But I think this is to complicated for the ordinary faker. A little bit too much lead paint and the faked parts will show up too bright; a little bit too less and you won't see the (faked missing) parts. Sellers who care to take an x-Ray care about customers.

The best is to buy an unprepped Keichousaurus, take an x-Ray and do the prep work yourself. But be careful - prepping a Keichousaurus can be awkward.

The only drawback is - there is no person other than yourself you can blame for the bad prep work... ;)

Thomas

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

On ebay, most of the x-rays of these from China I have seen actually don't look like the "fossil" being sold.

I always take an x-Ray before I start to prep a Keichousaurus.

I guess you are right, lead paint could be a way to fool you. But I think this is to complicated for the ordinary faker. A little bit too much lead paint and the faked parts will show up too bright; a little bit too less and you won't see the (faked missing) parts. Sellers who care to take an x-Ray care about customers.

The best is to buy an unprepped Keichousaurus, take an x-Ray and do the prep work yourself. But be careful - prepping a Keichousaurus can be awkward.

The only drawback is - there is no person other than yourself you can blame for the bad prep work... ;)

Thomas

You never know, these 'artists' will try anything to make a Little profit...

• 2 weeks later...

Stones & Bones seems to have recently added some higher quality Keich fossils with "minimal restoration". Decent prices if the description of the quality/authenticity is accurate.

Stones & Bones seems to have recently added some higher quality Keich fossils with "minimal restoration". Decent prices if the description of the quality/authenticity is accurate.

I've been wanting to add a Keich fossil to my collection but am always nervous about buying a fake. Stones and Bones has some cheaper ones and was curious if you knew how to tell a fake Keich from a real one?

It's hard to tell a fake from a real one without actually doing a cat scan on it, or working with the specimen to see if the bones have been painted on. I actually inquired about the cheaper, smaller Keich fossils on Stones and Bones because I was curious about their authenticity. The small ones that are under $500 have "significant" restoration done to them, being that many bones have been painted in and touched up. They are real... atleast some part of them that hasn't been painted onto the stone. That's what the owner of the website said. I'm not sure about the restoration that's been done to the more expensive ones that were recently posted, but the descriptions say there is minimal restoration that's been done. Since this isn't a Chinese dealer and these specimens are older I'd lean towards them actually being authentic with some minimal touch up coloring to the bones being done. My rule of thumb is if it's too good to be true it probably is.

Edited by Bguild

There's one on ebay now that looks good to me. Price is fair, seller says he has owned the piece for a while and is in Oregon. Of course you never know with these.

post-2182-0-54620300-1455925195_thumb.jpg

Edited by jhw

There's one on ebay now that looks good to me. Price is fair, seller says he has owned the piece for a while and is in Oregon. Of course you never know with these.

That's true, they're getting trickier and trickier. I'm just going to refrain from buying Chinese fossils from online. I wouldn't even get a Moroccan trilobite anymore unless you are truly well versed in the material.