Plant fossils per Epoch

paleoflor

Inspired by Matt's thread and great idea of making a display showing representative fossils from every geologic period, as well as Paul's suggestion there to make a palaeobotanical version, I decided to give this a go. However, to allow myself a bit more variety (how are you supposed to choose between Walchia and Glossopteris for the Permian?!), I picked one fossil per epoch instead. Not sure whether these are very "representative", but at least they're "obtainable" and in my collection. It turns out that I've got absolutely nothing from the Holocene, Pliocene, Guadalupian, Mississippian, Middle Devonian, Pridoli, Wenlock and Llandovery (Ordovician and Cambrian are also lacking), so if anyone with plant material from those epochs for trade, please let me know!

post-2676-0-36764300-1454525439_thumb.jpg

P.S. Do you recognize the various fossils? Most come from quite "famous" localities for their respective epochs.

Edited by paleoflor
  • I found this Informative 1

Searching for green in the dark grey.

A garden of the ages...very cool!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks both.

Maybe I'll create a grouping like this in my display at some point. It's a nice and welcome change from my usual grouping per locality.

You can call this group's locality "Earth". ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'll do that, ha ha.

It would be a real challenge to make a more regional variant of this. Details of above photographs go over the globe, though it might be possible to do Northern or Southern hemisphere versions, especially on the period-level...

Holocene - N/A

Pleistocene (Riss Würm Interglacial) - Quercus robur from the "Filliti di Re", Re, Italy

Pliocene - N/A

Miocene (Tortonian) - Rhizocaulon huberii from Rátka, NE Hungary

Oligocene (Chattian) - Florissantia speirii from the Lyons Flora, Oregon, USA

Eocene - Cyathodendron texanum from the Jackson Group, near George West, Texas, USA

Paleocene - Ginkgo adiantoides from the Sentinel Butte Fm., Almont, North Dakota, USA

Late Cretaceous (Santonian) - Cedrus sp. from the Aachen Fm., Käskorb quarry, La Calamine, Belgium

Early Cretaceous (Albian) - Tempskya grandis from the Aspen Shale Fm., Wyoming, USA

Late Jurassic (Kimmeridgian) - Zamites feneonis from the Calcaires en Plaquettes Fm., Orbagnoux, France

Middle Jurassic - Ginkgo huttonii from the Ravenscar Group, North Yorkshire, UK

Early Jurassic (Hettangian) - Sagenopteris nilssoniana from the Bayreuth Fm., Forkendorf, Germany

Late Triassic - "Araucarioxylon" arizonicum from the Chinle Fm., Patton ranch, Arizona, USA

Middle Triassic (Anisian) - Dicroidium zuberi from the Basin Creek Fm., Nymboida, NSW, Australia

Early Triassic - Skilliostrobus australis from the Newport Fm., Avalon, NSW, Australia

Lopingian (Changhsingian) - Glossopteris ampla from the Illawarra Coal Measures, Mudgee, NSW, Australia

Guadalupian - N/A

Cisuralian - "Walchia sp." from the Ensamble d'Usclas ("Usclas Fm."), Les Tuilières, Lodève, France

Pennsylvanian (Moscovian) - Corynepteris coralloides from the Eagle coal bed (roof shale), West Virginia, USA

Mississippian - N/A

Late Devonian (Famennian) - Archaeopteris macilenta from the Catskill Fm., Red Hill, Pennsylvania, USA

Middle Devonian - N/A

Early Devonian (emsian) - Mosellophyton hefteri from the Klerf Schichten, Waxweiler, Germany

Pridoli - N/A

Ludlow (Gorstian) - Baragwanathia longifolia from the Yea Fm., Limestone Road, Victoria, Australia

Wenlock - N/A

Llandovery - N/A

Edited by paleoflor

Yep Tim, I like what you've done very much. I especially like the simple organization and format and great examples. I know that was what I was going for years ago when I was collecting and moving some of the plant fossils around and took this picture...but, I never quite got to actually doing anything more with em...

post-1240-0-82866700-1454727794_thumb.jpg

Seen some neat sorting/presentation ideas of late from a number of you all.

Regards, Chris