Cast/mold ID help

sTamprockcoin

I found this 2 years ago. I have an idea but not sure and any suggestions would be appreciated. It came from the river bed where the 2 brances of the Susquehanna River meet in Northumberland PA (Northumberland/Union Counties). In the immediate area is the bottom boundary of the Castkill Redbeds. I do not know the formation though there is both Surilian & Devonian exposures along the river.

I found it when the river was low after the inflatable dam was let down early in a semi-drought fall.

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno

Peat,

What Part defines the Genus? this was just a quick shot. I can do much better macro shots if that'd help.

“Beautiful is what we see. More beautiful is what we understand. Most beautiful is what we do not comprehend.” N. Steno

I'm not an expert on Brachiopods, but definitely an "enthusiast". One of the diagnostic locations is the hinge area showing the interarea. That, along with the number of plications and details of the sulcus and fold can help ID. Hopefully someone else can chime in with more.

If it is devonian, some possible Genera are: Orthospirifer, Mediospirifer,Cyrtospirifer, and possibly Mucrospirifer.

Also, there have been reports of Platystrophia from the early Silurian. That's an Avenue you should pursue as well based on the uncertainty of age.

Edited by Peat Burns
  • I found this Informative 2

I agree. What you have there is a brachiopod , probably Cyrtospirifer sp.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I'm not sure what species this is, but the preservation is similar to what I find in the Mahantango and the Trimmers Rock Formations here in PA. If it is Devonian, I would guess it came from one of those formations. I found this picture of the stratigraphic column around Eastern PA - New Jersey, and it says the Trimmers Rock Formation is right below the Catskill Formation.

post-10984-0-56413100-1454628727_thumb.png

Stephen

I agree. What you have there is a brachiopod , probably Cyrtospirifer sp.

looks right to me also

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

WOW! Thanks so much I'm learning so much and you're improving my collection and research skills. I've always been more of mineral guy but I will pick up anything that catches my eye and I'm not afraid to look odd in odd places.

Also, there have been reports of Platystrophia from the early Silurian. That's an Avenue you should pursue as well based on the uncertainty of age.

Vinlandostrophia (=Platystrophia) will always have plications in the sulcus and on the sinus. I have several of the Silurian species and this isn't one of them. More than likely a Devonian Period "Spirifid" and as pointed out there are a variety of genera to sort through.

Download this; www.priweb.org/publications/pubdetails.php?pubID=5603&back=catID%3D51%26page%3D3%26buy%3D2