Look for digs for people without degrees near me

medusareignfire

Hello,

I'm not a paleontologist (yet) but, I was hoping to find a dig site near me where I can maybe help a paleontologist dig?? Anybody know if this is possible? I know they have archaeologist dig sites like that near me.

Virginia Museum of Natural History has been running a dig for years near Fredericksburg, Virginia. They are primarily working in Miocene material but occasionally some Eocene material is found. The contact for that site is Alton Dooley.

If you can't travel that far contact the Calvert Marine Museum for volunteer opportunities.

Look into maybe volunteering here: LINK

Also, make the acquaintance of the paleo crew at the Calvert Marine Museum on Solomon's Island.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

PaleoRon - Just FYI,

Alton Dooley left VMNH a little over a year ago. He is now in CA at a smaller museum. His replacement at VMNH is more of a reptile guy (where Dooley was a marine mammal guy) and isn't going to the Carmel Church Quarry much these days. Not to mention, with all the rain and snow we have had since late September, I doubt much could be done in the quarry for awhile.

Medusareignfire,

There are several groups who do public collecting trips in MD and VA. One of them does trips in NJ too. There are nominal fees for the trips but here are a couple of links to get you started. Both of these have a Paleontologist on the trips.

http://www.fossilandnaturetrips.com/

http://www.calvertmarinemuseum.com/209/Fossil-Club

You could also join your local fossil club. Most clubs do trips and you usually have to be a member in order to go.

Hope this helps.

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World