Ammonites, what's the chances...

JohnBrewer

I think yes, they are real.

I'm not aware of much outright falsification being done with ammonites.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The above assessments are probably correct.

I'm less convinced. They may be legit but?

if legit a ton 'prep work' and odd that two specimens in each piece of matrix and that the 'composition' of each piece is so good.

I'd want to know the collecting info and google similar specimens from that site.

• I found this Informative 1

I would also want to know if the different species are found in the same formation.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I agree with the above two comments.. they may be basically real but how much reconstruction was done on them, and do they belong together? The Moroccans seem to be fond of reconstructing things and assembling things that were not originally together, because it's a relatively easy way to make something more valuable.

We all know, as does John, that all Moroccan fossils are suspect, so I suppose he already knows he's taking a chance on these. I can at least vouch for the fact that they are partially real :)

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Im not touching anything Moroccan unless it comes from a reputable source!

These are apparently

1st Emericicéras + Davidicéras Age : Barrémien Inférieur. Location : Gard, France. Starting price €175

2nd SURCRIVAI + Holcophyloceras Age : Barrémien Inférieur. Location : Drôme, France. Starting price €100

Third has been sold or pulled from the site.

The seller does have some pretty impressive heteromorphs ammonites and they have big price tags for example three on one matrix starting at over £1000GBP not like the Cinese $85 bird etc fossil skeletons that keep appearing. She also had some cheaper single heteromorphs (or deroulee in France) in poorer condition at for €20/30 or so.

I wasn't going to buy these and certainly wouldn't without advice from forum members if I was thinking of going to. I just though it odd that there were two very different types on the same block and really was trying to gauge the honestly of the seller if I was to buy in the future particularly as the seller has feedback of 40.

Thanks

John