Can Someone Suggest An Area Of West Texas?

BobC

Hey guys--

I feel like driving out to West Texas this weekend to sniff around for fossil urchins. I really want to go 'into the wild" and spend the night out there, coming back on Sunday. Can anyone suggest a good area to explore? I love regular urchins but have explored most of Central Texas. Any suggestions? I definitely do not want to go to any place overly picked over.

Hey guys--

I feel like driving out to West Texas this weekend to sniff around for fossil urchins. I really want to go 'into the wild" and spend the night out there, coming back on Sunday. Can anyone suggest a good area to explore? I love regular urchins but have explored most of Central Texas. Any suggestions? I definitely do not want to go to any place overly picked over.

How far "west" is the question.

I'd head for Del Rio instead of way west although I hear of spots out south of Ozona that may produce.

Never been there myself, but you may check someplace like West TX A&M or San Angelo State. Are those two even still schools??? heh heh

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

"west texas" can be inhospitable to man and beast. "in the wild" out there is a different ballgame from central texas, and in my opinion, generally higher stakes. take extra food and water, a tire patching kit, and keep an eye out for critters.

If you smell a lot of skunks that may not be what it is, this is the time of year from male javelinas to be in the tusks so to speak, and any road to Del Rio your going to see a lot of them. I don't know what was going on with them one year, but it was like they hadn't eaten in a long time, almost didn't get away from um'. I really don't know if they have ever hurt anyone but they will chase you down if they could!

Guest solius symbiosus

Looking at the map of Texas, there are some areas of Paleozoic rocks exposed. Any of y'all collect from those areas? I seem to recall a thread on here a while back that had some nice Paleozoic invert stuff.

BobC:

It depends on how far west you are willing to go and how you choose to get there. Along the northern route (I-20 route) 23 miles northwest of Snyder on US Highway 84 is a large roadcut on FM 1269 north of the community of Fluvanna exposing (from base to top): Triassic (terrestrial redbed sequence) Tecovas Formation; Walnut Formation; Comanche Peak Formation; Edwards Formation; and a small outlier of Kiamichi back to the east in a quarry (sometimes active). A variety of echinoids are found in the Walnut, Comanche Peak and Edwards. I have collected here many times over the years when I lived in West Texas. Echinoids found here include Salenia mexicana, Heteraster mexicanus, Coenholectypus planatus, Tetragramma taffi and Phymosoma mexicana in the Comanche Peak. In the Edwards are found Salenia sp., Goniopygus texanus, Goniopygus zitelli, Helodiadema rotula and Globator parryi. There are no immediately accessible exposures of the Triassic and Kiamichi, although there is a vertebrate collection locality just north and east of where FM 1269 exits US Highway 84 and also an old lake exposure (with Triassic freshwater clam fossils and fresh water snail fossils) east on an oilfield road off FM1269. These are generally inaccessible to weekend travelers, however.

At the city of Big Spring further west on I-20 on the mountain on the south side south of the loop is (of course!) South Mountain. There are several quarries that expose the Walnut, Comanche Peak equivalence (Fort Terrett Formation) and the Edwards equivalence (Segovia Formation). Echinoids are found in each of the quarries, with most found in the lower quarry in the Walnut and Comanche Peak Equivalence (Fort Terrett Formation). In the Comanche Peak equivalence and Walnut are found Heteraster texanus, Heteraster mexicanus, Coenholectypus texanus, Phymosoma texanum, Phymosoma mexicanum, Salenia mexicanum and Loriola whitneyi.

2 hours further west at the junction of I-10 and I-20 and up to miles past the junction east and west of Kent are a series of roadcuts that expose the Boracho Formation. Echinoids are found in the roadcuts in the lower Levinson member (Duck Creek and Fort Worth Equivalence) and the upper San Martine member (Upper Fort Worth though Main Street equivalence). The lower Levinson member consists of marls (primary) and limestones (secondary) and contains various Macraster species, Heteraster mexicanus, Tetragramma malbosii and Phymosoma mexicanum. With lots of luck, you might even find Stereocidaris hudspethensis. Echinoids found in the upper San Martine member include Anorthopygus texanus, Globator parryi, Salenia volana, Tetragramma streeruwitzi, Coenholectypus transpecosensis, Phymosoma volanum, Dumblea symmetrica, Washitaster wenoensis, Washitaster bravoensis and less common genera.

If one travels the south route (I-10 westward) eastward from Ozona, there are numerous roadcut exposures near the east Fort Lancaster exit and west to near Iraan that expose various Fredricksburg strata (mostly Fort Terrett Formation) and various Washitan strata (mostly Fort Lancaster Formation) with echinoids found in many of the rocks. Further west in Trans-Pecos Texas near Fort Stockton, the roadcuts expose various Washitan rocks of the Fort Lancaster (Upper Caprock) and the Boracho upper (San Martine) member in the roadcuts just west of Fort Stockton. Echinoids found in these exposures include Anorthopygus texanus, Globator species, Goniopygus stocktonensis, Phymosoma mexicanum, Phymosoma volanum, Loriola volana, Coenholectypus transpecosensis, Dumblea symmetrica, Salenia mexicana, Salenia volana and other, more rare forms. Numerous echinoids are also found in exposures off the highway, but the property is private and you must meet and secure permission from the landowners or receive permission from the various oil and gas operators.

From Fort Stockton, one can travel an hour and a half west to the Boracho exposures in the Kent area as discussed previously. The various echinoid species listed at the various localities are those that I have found over the years.

Hopefully, these localities provide you some good opportunities and quality specimens to add to your collection.

Regards,

Mike

• Thank You 1

Mike thats a lot of good info will save it if I ever head that way

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

FANDANGO!

Except we'll be looking for the buried fossil at the top of the hill... I'll haul some Shiner up with me though!

Great info Mike - thanks!

Owen

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

As Mike M may remember, I have been to the Fluvanna outcrop. It is an interesting place. If you search the forum for Fluvanna, you will find a great picture that he posted of part of the outcrop with the various formations marked on it. However, Mike posted so much interesting info that I would have a hard time deciding where to go. Thanks Mike as always. Good luck Bob and watch out for rattlers. Will be waiting to see pictures when you get back.

Edit: the post is HERE

• I found this Informative 1

Meaning Del Rio, Texas or is there a formation called Del Rio? I looked up Del Rio, Texas on Google maps and it looks promising!

I don't have to go West--it was just an idea, having exhausted most of Central Texas. Hey are any of you guys into clam casts? I found a place near Blanco that is absolutely packed with them. I know they aren't all that interesting, but this place is so packed with them you just won't believe your eyes.

Maybe you should check out Bend, TX?? There are supposed trilobites and stuff near the Colorado there. Look under the locations map section (Texas). It has directions.

Hey Travis--I was just in North Texas this past month so I was hoping to explore some new areas. I really enjoy driving around and seeing what's in these rural areas. I just saw some llamas this weekend and tehy were shaved--have you ever seen a shaved llama? They look completely ridiculous. I just about drove off the road when I saw them!

Hey Travis--I was just in North Texas this past month so I was hoping to explore some new areas. I really enjoy driving around and seeing what's in these rural areas. I just saw some llamas this weekend and tehy were shaved--have you ever seen a shaved llama? They look completely ridiculous. I just about drove off the road when I saw them!

I've never seen a shaved llama, but I have shaved in the Llano. B)

BobC:

It depends on how far west you are willing to go and how you choose to get there....

Bob...THAT is a silver platter!

You should make use of it before Owen gets there.... :o:D

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

• 2 years later...

BobC:

It depends on how far west you are willing to go and how you choose to get there. Along the northern route (I-20 route) 23 miles northwest of Snyder on US Highway 84 is a large roadcut on FM 1269 north of the community of Fluvanna exposing (from base to top): Triassic (terrestrial redbed sequence) Tecovas Formation; Walnut Formation; Comanche Peak Formation; Edwards Formation; and a small outlier of Kiamichi back to the east in a quarry (sometimes active). A variety of echinoids are found in the Walnut, Comanche Peak and Edwards. I have collected here many times over the years when I lived in West Texas. Echinoids found here include Salenia mexicana, Heteraster mexicanus, Coenholectypus planatus, Tetragramma taffi and Phymosoma mexicana in the Comanche Peak. In the Edwards are found Salenia sp., Goniopygus texanus, Goniopygus zitelli, Helodiadema rotula and Globator parryi. There are no immediately accessible exposures of the Triassic and Kiamichi, although there is a vertebrate collection locality just north and east of where FM 1269 exits US Highway 84 and also an old lake exposure (with Triassic freshwater clam fossils and fresh water snail fossils) east on an oilfield road off FM1269. These are generally inaccessible to weekend travelers, however.

At the city of Big Spring further west on I-20 on the mountain on the south side south of the loop is (of course!) South Mountain. There are several quarries that expose the Walnut, Comanche Peak equivalence (Fort Terrett Formation) and the Edwards equivalence (Segovia Formation). Echinoids are found in each of the quarries, with most found in the lower quarry in the Walnut and Comanche Peak Equivalence (Fort Terrett Formation). In the Comanche Peak equivalence and Walnut are found Heteraster texanus, Heteraster mexicanus, Coenholectypus texanus, Phymosoma texanum, Phymosoma mexicanum, Salenia mexicanum and Loriola whitneyi.

2 hours further west at the junction of I-10 and I-20 and up to miles past the junction east and west of Kent are a series of roadcuts that expose the Boracho Formation. Echinoids are found in the roadcuts in the lower Levinson member (Duck Creek and Fort Worth Equivalence) and the upper San Martine member (Upper Fort Worth though Main Street equivalence). The lower Levinson member consists of marls (primary) and limestones (secondary) and contains various Macraster species, Heteraster mexicanus, Tetragramma malbosii and Phymosoma mexicanum. With lots of luck, you might even find Stereocidaris hudspethensis. Echinoids found in the upper San Martine member include Anorthopygus texanus, Globator parryi, Salenia volana, Tetragramma streeruwitzi, Coenholectypus transpecosensis, Phymosoma volanum, Dumblea symmetrica, Washitaster wenoensis, Washitaster bravoensis and less common genera.

If one travels the south route (I-10 westward) eastward from Ozona, there are numerous roadcut exposures near the east Fort Lancaster exit and west to near Iraan that expose various Fredricksburg strata (mostly Fort Terrett Formation) and various Washitan strata (mostly Fort Lancaster Formation) with echinoids found in many of the rocks. Further west in Trans-Pecos Texas near Fort Stockton, the roadcuts expose various Washitan rocks of the Fort Lancaster (Upper Caprock) and the Boracho upper (San Martine) member in the roadcuts just west of Fort Stockton. Echinoids found in these exposures include Anorthopygus texanus, Globator species, Goniopygus stocktonensis, Phymosoma mexicanum, Phymosoma volanum, Loriola volana, Coenholectypus transpecosensis, Dumblea symmetrica, Salenia mexicana, Salenia volana and other, more rare forms. Numerous echinoids are also found in exposures off the highway, but the property is private and you must meet and secure permission from the landowners or receive permission from the various oil and gas operators.

From Fort Stockton, one can travel an hour and a half west to the Boracho exposures in the Kent area as discussed previously. The various echinoid species listed at the various localities are those that I have found over the years.

Hopefully, these localities provide you some good opportunities and quality specimens to add to your collection.

Regards,

Mike

Mike, I just wanted to say thanks for posting this great information. I was looking for some places to hunt and found this forum. I stopped by the roadcut north of Snyder and found some cool stuff last week. A lot of oysters, some petrified wood I believe. I'll get some pictures posted. I just put a a couple of pics on my blog about my trip through the area if anyone wants to check it out. www.sirwheelsy.com

post-7671-0-84166500-1325605783_thumb.jpg

Mike, I just wanted to say thanks for posting this great information. I was looking for some places to hunt and found this forum. I stopped by the roadcut north of Snyder and found some cool stuff last week. A lot of oysters, some petrified wood I believe. I'll get some pictures posted. I just put a a couple of pics on my blog about my trip through the area if anyone wants to check it out. www.sirwheelsy.com

Did you find my hammer? LOL!