Beginner's Luck!

Bguild

This past weekend New England finally thawed out from winter and I went down to Corys Lane in Rhode Island for my first fossil hunting trip ever. I took a friend along with me who has no real interest in fossils, but wanted to enjoy the nice day and I had an extra hammer for him to borrow. Upon arrival I took my first chunk of shale out of the wall and then used that small piece to show my friend how to split a piece of shale. Inside my first piece of rock was a decent looking fern (Pecopteris). It's always that easy isn't it? ;) I spent the rest of the afternoon down in Rhode Island and found a few other small fossilized leaves, but this first one is my favorite! This fossil gets the added sentimental value of being the first fossil that I myself found. I can't wait to check out even more spots this spring/summer. Needless to say, I'm hooked!

post-18018-0-69013700-1457999797_thumb.jpeg

post-18018-0-08739200-1457999809_thumb.jpeg

post-18018-0-81685500-1457999822_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Bguild

Woot!

All smiles here :D

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Wow! Way to break the fossil ice! If that's your luck, you should just hit all of the famous sites once. Haha

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

That's one of the nicest ferns I've seen from that locality.

Good job!

Thanks for posting it.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

That is just awesome for your first time! You should be proud!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

As someone who hunts at Cory's Lane quite frequently, there's some awesome stuff there. You don't necessarily need to dig either, the tide really washes out some great pieces too.

• I found this Informative 1

As someone who hunts at Cory's Lane quite frequently, there's some awesome stuff there. You don't necessarily need to dig either, the tide really washes out some great pieces too.

There seemed some decent stuff just laying on the beach waiting to be split. Good to know! Can fossils be found in the higher layers, or is it really the lower ones you want to be focusing on?

Hey Bguild, my very first fossil was an impression of a clam so you've already outdone me. Nice plant.

RB

That's better than anything I've found so far at Corys lane, though my last time wasn't a planned trip and I didn't even have my hammer! That'll learn me.

Keep it up!

Mike

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

• 1 year later...

Now that the weather is shaping up in New England I was able to make it out to Cory's Lane to split some shale. It now seems to now be a tradition that I spend Marathon Monday with rocks versus watching the race in Boston :hammer01: . Anyway, here are a couple of finds from my first outing of 2017. All of these imprints are Pecopteris sp.

Side Note: On the way home I wandered around North Attleboro, MA with a set of GPS coordinates and a mostly dead cell phone to navigate with, but I managed to find a fossil locality that is new to me. I didn't have my tools with me as it was getting late in the day, but I'll be checking that spot out next to hopefully find more plant material and maybe some insect imprints/reptile footprints. Does anyone have any experience hunting in the North Attleboro area?

IMG_6475.JPG

IMG_6477.JPG

FullSizeRender (3).jpg

You made some terrific finds for that site. I haven't been there for a couple of years, I think. I'll have to stop there again soon. Even if I don't find much I always enjoy being on the shore. I haven't done any hunting yet in the Attleboro area but I'm sure there must be something there other than the quarry. Good luck!

Mike

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.