Possible fossils found south of Cannon Beach near Arcadia Beach, Oregon. (Teeth or shell pieces?)

Mirei

I was visiting Oregon last weekend and did a lot of beach combing! I was mostly searching for agate and sand dollars but on one of the beaches I found an interesting piece of something. It looked like a tooth to me. (The very first one I found was #7) I was so excited and positive it was a tooth, until I began to find more. After continuing to find more small pieces that looked similar, I realized with disappointment they were more than likely just shell pieces and not fossils at all. However, the hopeful I am, I thought I'd come to the professionals to get them ID'd just to be sure.

All were found on the beach between Cannon Beach and Arcadia Beach. The tide was low at the time (not sure if this is helpful.) I took photos of them before I had read that a size reference is handy so I apologize for not having that. If it's at all helpful, most are smaller than or about the size of a quarter. I took photos of each one next to the number to help differentiate. #30 and 31 are most likely shell pieces but I wasn't sure about the rest.

I appreciate any help and thank you for your time!

http://imgur.com/a/Sdpyz

Edited by Mirei

It works for me. You are unfortunately correct in your assumption. All the bits are pieces of recent shells. No teeth to be seen. Sorry 'bout that, but better luck next time. You just need to find the right beach like at Calvert Cliffs: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/63588-awesome-day-at-calvert-cliffs/

Edited by Ludwigia

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Hi,

I think most of them are parts of barnacle... Please, put directly your pics here, it will be better to see them ;)

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

They do indeed look much like the fossil barnacles found at Calvert Cliffs. I wonder if a bryozoan expert could determine their probable age from the colonies growing on some of them (11+4).

Wondering but not really optimistic of it.

Welcome to the forum.

These all look like well tumbled shell pieces that have been worn down by tumbling in the waves.

All of these, except possibly the last one, are all waterworn fragments of modern barnacles. I don't know what the last one is.

Images attached to archive here:

post-423-0-35775900-1458911514_thumb.jpg

post-423-0-53712800-1458911527_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!