Maastrichtian belemnite phragmocone from Denmark

The Amateur Paleontologist

Hi everyone, in Summer I went to a Maastrichtian-age (~70 mya) Chalk coastline on the island of Møn in Denmark. My family and I recovered 13 partial belemnite rostra (I found 10 of them). Quite common, right? One of the rostra that I found was heavily worn, but within that poorly preserved rostra was a near-complete phragmocone. Tell me what you think about it!

post-21134-0-25688900-1459962432_thumb.png

This is the belemnite rostra. Note the Euro coin for scale

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Unfortunately the picture is too small to see much. Try to get in closer, but pay attention to the depth of field (make sure the specimen is in focus top to bottom). It helps if you crop the photo as well, so the allowed file size is used to show the fossil and not just a lot of empty surrounding space. Finally, it might help to use oblique lighting, which is to say have the light source coming from the side and down, instead of straight down (or almost straight down). The idea is to bring out shadows that show the surface detail.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hello,

Most of the belemnite rostra at Mons klint are : Belemnella lanceolata

D

Thanks for the info!

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile