Fossil sites in San Diego

Dino Observer

There was one member I remember from there (Kkoz) that was finding shark teeth. I used to live in Ocean Beach

for several years and would have loved to know there were fossils around.

Scroll down the topics list and there is a section on localities. Click on California and find areas in your surroundings for places to hunt.

Edited by caldigger
  • I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I'll check it out! Thanks!

There was one member I remember from there (Kkoz) that was finding shark teeth. I used to live in Ocean Beachfor several years and would have loved to know there were fossils around.Scroll down the topics list and there is a section on localities. Click on California and find areas in your surroundings for places to hunt.

This Website has some information, but, that info is very old.

Some sites may be gone, built over, overgrown, or no longer accessible for various reasons.

It is a good place to start your research, though. You need to gain permission to hunt on private property.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Wow! This was very helpful, thank you!

This Website has some information, but, that info is very old.

Some sites may be gone, built over, overgrown, or no longer accessible for various reasons.

It is a good place to start your research, though. You need to gain permission to hunt on private property.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

San Diego used to be a great area to look for fossils. In the 50's kids could find shark teeth in exposures just around their neighborhoods but then everything started to get built on and also landscaped over.

I would join a local fossil club and/or the Southern California Paleontological Society (based in Los Angeles). The SCPS has monthly field trips and newsletter. If you go on the trips, get to know other members and see what they know about San Diego. If they don't know a site, they might know one to research.

Does anyone know any good places to go fossil hunting in San Diego?