Summerville SC, Folly Beach SC Hunt

MCG DAWG

Took the family for a five day spring break trip to Folly Beach just south of Charleston SC and only 30 minutes from the famed Summerville.

Was a good trip, little cold, and very windy during our stay from 4/12-4/17.

I'm relatively new to the hobby and had only done beach/island hunting. But this time I used a group called Low Country Fossil Excursions for a creek trip in Summerville SC. I didn't really need a hand holding. Just wanted the equipment and a pointed in the right direction.

I spent 3 hours on a well hunted small creek bed with a sifter and a shovel. Was told I couldn't dig the exposed fossil layer in the bank and was limited to dig/sifting the creek bed itself. Had a blast doing so and found 285 small to medium teeth over the course of that 3 hours of work. Probably didn't use 50 yards of the creek. It's a popular spot evidently but didn't see a lot of evidence the bigger/deeper holes had been worked over so that's where I concentrated. Picture below in the sifter is one of the better teeth I found. Found a small meg, maybe 2 inches with both corners broken off but no large megs.

Some young male teens came by and showed me 10-12 3-4 inch megs they'd dug up out the layer in this creek. They denied any knowledge that this was illegal. I chose not to take a chance and just plugged along in the creek. I had a ball and would do it again.

Rest of the time I spent beach hunting. Low tide was hitting mid afternoon and around 3am. Mid afternoon the beach was packed and hunting was nearly fruitless as lots of beachcombing around the main pier on Folly. However, if you get up at 3am and spend 2-3 hours on the beach with a headlamp you get it all to yourself! Did that for three nights and had great success. In total found another 440+ teeth on the beach. Brought my overall total to 731. Pic below of all of them on a white towel. Quarter up at the top middle row for size.

Early bird gets the teeth and occasionally a great sunrise, as the final picture below attests.

Oh, and while I dropped money on a guided creek hunt in Summerville hoping for megs . . . my 5 year old found half a 4 inch meg on the beach at Folly!

Really enjoyed it, my kids got into it and found 15-20 teeth themselves, and we're looking forward to a trip to Amelia Island FL in a couple of months.

post-20577-0-23599100-1460570770_thumb.jpg

post-20577-0-45899700-1460570795_thumb.jpg

post-20577-0-16875700-1460570845_thumb.jpg

post-20577-0-01821700-1460570857_thumb.png

post-20577-0-88278700-1460570878_thumb.jpg

Edited by MCG DAWG

Nice haul, congrats! : )

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!