Rare Shark Teeth on the Ashley River

Sharks of SC

Hello Everyone,

I haven't been out tooth hunting lately as much as I would like to, but I managed to get out for a couple of hours today. I found some great teeth and had a nice time on the water.

In addition to the usual hemipristis, makos, and tiger shark teeth, I found a pair of nice little C. angustidens teeth, a blood-red enamel shell of a great white tooth, a great Parotodus benedeni, and a nice (and extremely rare) cusped thresher tooth, Trigonotodus alteri.

I posted another cusped thresher found a little over a week ago by my friend at the same site, and I've been dreaming of finding one for myself, which made today's find particularly gratifying.

Hope everyone's been enjoying the fair weather and finding some nice fossils!

Happy hunting,

SOSC

Here's today's total haul-

post-19405-0-30747300-1461013683_thumb.jpg

Carcharocles angustidens teeth -

post-19405-0-82872100-1461013719_thumb.jpg

Cusped Giant Thresher tooth -

post-19405-0-58588200-1461013938_thumb.jpgpost-19405-0-80535100-1461013947_thumb.jpg

...and those are the highlighs, thanks for looking.

Awesome finds, Congrats! :fistbump:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

What a high-grade mix! Any one would be a trip maker.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I like the bennie! Still looking for my first whole one. The thresher is pretty amazing too. Keep posting those pics! I like!

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

Thank you everyone for the kind comments!

I like the bennie! Still looking for my first whole one. The thresher is pretty amazing too. Keep posting those pics! I like!

Thank you, Mrieder! I've been fortunate enough to have found nearly a dozen of the smaller, Oligocene-type benedenis in this location, but I'm still waiting for my first monster mio-plio specimen.

Man that river spot is paying off with some killers...is that the same spot we went to?

Yep, sure is! I've been digging an awful lot out there...and fine-sifting the holes. The finds are sort of slow, but Ive managed to start pulling a few nice teeth a day. Edited by Sharks of SC

Thank you everyone for the kind comments!

Thank you, Mrieder! I've been fortunate enough to have found nearly a dozen of the smaller, Oligocene-type benedenis in this location, but I'm still waiting for my first monster mio-plio specimen.

Yep, sure is! I've been digging an awful lot out there...and fine-sifting the holes. The finds are sort of slow, but Ive managed to start pulling a few nice teeth a day.

We need to get together again and hit that spot hard...lol