ID and Nodule Preparation Advice Port Mulgrave find

judgesteve

Hi so this is not an ID request more of an advice post. I had a very productive day at Port Mulgrave this week but unlike a number of the people on the shore who were smashing everything in site and leaving anything but perfect fossils strewn across the beach I prefer to collect a few potential nodules to bring home. This is I hope going to yield a nice specimen. Before I start could anyone offer advice on how to start and whether it appears to be a keel on the rim or a geological feature. I have a Dremel and a cheap air pen for detail but have never undertaken anything like this. i am reluctant to just hot it with a hammer. Any thoughts and sorry for the above rant but over the past few weeks the area at Port M has become a draw for treasure hunters rather than collectors. each to their own probably but I see each fossil as special.

Steve

post-20919-0-40127400-1461422547_thumb.jpg

post-20919-0-40682700-1461422554_thumb.jpg

post-20919-0-12794400-1461422562_thumb.jpg

Hi Judge Steve.... as far as I can tell from the images the nodule possibly contains a decent size Hildoceras ...The way to tackle these with an airpen is to start where the matrix edge is covering the fossil and slowly vibrate the matrix away piece by piece... The process is difficult to put into words so plenty practice pinging matrix off ammonites is required that usually have a seperation layer like the Yorkshire shells...as your a relative newcomer to prep and this looks a decent find I would personllly reccomend you get this professionally prepped... Its a shame to damage a good fossil based on lack of experience so if you have plenty patience, you could also put this nodule to one side to prep in the future when you have more experience....

• I found this Informative 3

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Hi Terry

I have been looking at it under a magnifying glass and I am pretty confident it has a keel that I see on little bit of Hildoceras I have found. I think I will take your advice as I have completed a few Ammonites with my tools but also made a complete mess of a lot more. there is a shop in Whitby that does prep so i think I will hold off...even if its until I am confident. Your advice has helped me leave it alone so thank you.

Steve

Nice find you have an Ammonite in their and prep is the best way to go, if it was me I would wait till I could prep it my self as it is very satisfying to reveal the fossil yourself. Good luck

Regards

Mike

• 1 year later...