Baby Meg's?

Dirtdog

Looking forward to cataloging the many small teeth I have found. Any help on how to ID juvenile teeth would be great. Will work on my photography skills tomorrow, maybe someone can get a clue from this amateur pic. Thank you.post-21307-0-02272000-1461634555_thumb.jpg

I see bull sharks (the broad teeth with swept blades), lemon sharks (the one with a wide skinny base and a single skinny blade), and a broken hemipriestis (the one with jagged edges). Unfortunately no megs. Keep looking though, they are out there. Persistence=success.

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

Here are some of my baby Megs (one impostor). They are much chubbier than the teeth you've got. I'm with the others. Bull, Lemon, Hemi. Happy Hunting, you'll find yours!

post-11638-0-76770900-1461640233_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lori LuvsFossils

Here are some of my baby Megs (one impostor). They are much chubbier than the teeth you've got. I'm with the others. Bull, Lemon, Hemi. Happy Hunting, you'll find yours!

Lori

Almost all of your teeth are definitely megs like you say. If you had an anterior meg tooth that was that small it would definitely be from a baby or juvenile meg. However your teeth look like posteriors. The extreme posterior teeth in a meg dentition can be much smaller than the anterior teeth. So your teeth can be from an adult meg. As an example of how small extreme posterior teeth can be in relation to the rest of the teeth in a jaw, take a look at how small the extreme posterior teeth are in comparison to the anterior teeth (double click on one of the entire jaw pictures) in this extant great white jaw.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/64118-extant-carcharodon-carcharias-great-white-shark-jaw/#entry670899

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 1

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

post-11638-0-55170400-1461797243_thumb.jpgMarco Sr, I've got posterior Meg teeth from adults. They are much larger than will fit on a quarter. I might be willing to agree that some are from young (not baby) sharks, but I'm not so sure about adults. I did look at your link to the great white. Nice photos...but a great white is much smaller than the meg was. I'm no expert, I've just found an awful lot of teeth I can hold and compare. Just for kicks, I'm going to attach some of my even smaller megs on dimes.

Thanks Blake! I get just as excited about finding a tiny meg as a large one.

attachicon.gifDSCN9806.JPGMarco Sr, I've got posterior Meg teeth from adults. They are much larger than will fit on a quarter. I might be willing to agree that some are from young (not baby) sharks, but I'm not so sure about adults. I did look at your link to the great white. Nice photos...but a great white is much smaller than the meg was. I'm no expert, I've just found an awful lot of teeth I can hold and compare. Just for kicks, I'm going to attach some of my even smaller megs on dimes.

Thanks Blake! I get just as excited about finding a tiny meg as a large one.

Lori

Here are just a very few of the baby and juvenile megs that my family has collected. They range in size from .56 inches to .81 inches. If anterior teeth are this small, think about how small the posterior teeth of a baby or juvenile meg would be. Your quarter is .955 inches in diameter. Extreme posterior teeth of adult megs can be as small as the size of your megs on quarters. Your megs on the dimes are more in line with the sizes for juvenile megs.

post-2515-0-67506200-1461809850_thumb.jpgpost-2515-0-64490200-1461809852_thumb.jpgpost-2515-0-70972100-1461809851_thumb.jpgpost-2515-0-00975500-1461809849_thumb.jpgpost-2515-0-68497800-1461809853_thumb.jpg

Here is another example of how small extreme posterior teeth of extant sharks can be. Look how tiny (I had to use a microscope to take the pictures) the extreme posterior teeth are in relation to the anterior teeth for this mako jaw.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/59995-extant-isurus-oxyrinchus-mako-shortfin-shark-jaw/

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png