Found in southeast Ohio

chipd

Hi all, I found this in a pile of river wash stone in Fairfield County Ohio. I think it may be a Horn Coral, I just have not seen one shaped exactly like it from google.

post-21330-0-98076100-1461852850_thumb.jpg

post-21330-0-35606400-1461852871_thumb.jpg

Thanks folks, I found allot of coral in the stones and I thought it was a horn coral, but the shape was not like any I looked at on google.

After it was fossilized, it came back out of the embedding matrix and then got tumbled around in a river, giving it a "rock tumbler" finish.

Looks nice. Since the rough outer coating has been polished away, you can see the underlying internal structure of it, those long lines that extend between the two openings. If you get it wet I bet it shows more detail and looks pretty good.

• I found this Informative 2

After it was fossilized, it came back out of the embedding matrix and then got tumbled around in a river, giving it a "rock tumbler" finish.

Looks nice. Since the rough outer coating has been polished away, you can see the underlying internal structure of it, those long lines that extend between the two openings. If you get it wet I bet it shows more detail and looks pretty good.

Yes it does show more detail when it is wet. I thought about putting some paste wax on it, but I don't want to damage it.

The wax would easily come back off with rubbing alcohol. It won't hurt THAT fossil, because it that one is tough as nails.

If you go to the forum section on "Fossil Prep", you could ask how to polish and or coat that fossil. It would probably look amazing.

• I found this Informative 1

The wax would easily come back off with rubbing alcohol. It won't hurt THAT fossil, because it that one is tough as nails.

If you go to the forum section on "Fossil Prep", you could ask how to polish and or coat that fossil. It would probably look amazing.

Thank you, I have some Pete's black pearl carnauba that should make it look good and smell like a coconut.