Sulphur River Adventure - A mom's first time perspective!

KellyRae

My sons are 5 and 9. I wanted to do something new that would indulge their adventurous side! So, we went to the Sulphur River for our first fossil expedition! We drove the hour from Plano and parked at Ladonia Fossil Park on 34. I had read about what to expect, so I was as prepared as a mother can be.

-Sunscreen (no shade folks, so re-application is vital)
-Bugspray (we didn't need this)
-Bandaids (we needed this)
-Antibiotic ointment (see above)
-Snacks and Bottled water
-Hammer (don't laugh, I'm a new adventurer)
-Garden trowel (most useful)
-Buckets, small shovels, and sand strainers (99 cent store)
-Swim shoes (some folks wore rain boots)
-Towel (at some point my youngest said he was cold from all the wading)
-Hat to prevent sun over-exposure (I could have used this)
-Extra clothing (left in car for the drive home-perfect)
-Plastic bags for smaller fossils

There is a steep embankment with some paved stairs we used to carefully climb down to the river. The boys wore their tennis shoes but we changed into swim shoes at the riverbank. This was important because my oldest son got stuck in the mud up to his knees at one point and lost both swim shoes to it's deep sticky force. Thank goodness we had his socks and tennis shoes waiting for us on the gravel bar! He had to walk back a good 30 minutes to retrieve them, slowly navigating river rock and watching for any potential hazards, but he made it! Our new and more experienced friends dug through the mud in an attempt to retrieve his swim shoes but they relented and gave them up to the river bed. We all decided we had just left a potential artifact for future generations to identify.

The boys had fun making some friends and wading in the river. It was shallow enough to see through, and safe enough to wade in. I did note some rusty metal pieces on land as well as a few pieces of glass, but it isn't rampant. Just caution your kiddos to be vigilant. The boys had the most fun digging and throwing clay mounds at one another. Meanwhile, I enjoyed looking for fossils on the gravel bars. It took some time to pick up the pace and begin identifying what was fossil and what was rock, but I had a nice foundation going. I asked some regular's for assistance in identifying some of them. My youngest had a tough time catching on but was excited to bring me lots of rocks for our collection.

I think my best advice is don't wander too far because you have to walk back. Also, stay away from the slick banks where the creek meets the river. This is where my son fell victim to the savage mud. Of course, we retrieved him, but he thought it was hilarious and continued to "fall" in time and again. Stay vigilant and walk slowly! As far as fossil finding, look for what stands out. I found my best pieces on the gravel bars, not in the creek. There is also great potential in sifting through the mundane little gravel within the shallowest of water because something nice can come from it! (See photo 1)

I am going to post some of our finds. Feel free to help identify. I found so many different things and it was worth the trip fro this newbie!

Here are links to our other finds that day! http://www.thefossil...hur-river-trip/ http://www.thefossil...r-river-trip-2/

post-21393-0-66431200-1462854720_thumb.jpg

post-21393-0-59811200-1462854849_thumb.jpg

post-21393-0-79393500-1462854877_thumb.jpg

post-21393-0-29023600-1462854900_thumb.jpg

post-21393-0-55132900-1462854975_thumb.jpg

Edited by KellyRae
  • I found this Informative 1

Great story and great adventure for the boys. They should also like collecting at Post Oak Creek in Sherman and the Mineral Wells Fossil Park too. The fossils in picture #1 are worm tubes called Hamulus squamosus. Picture #2 is an oyster, Exogyra ponderosa. I can't tell anything about #5.

#5 is strange isn't it? It looks like a bad sculpture project! I have another angle of it, however, I can't post it here for lack of room. I will post them all in another forum for identification tomorrow. Thank you for reading and for your help! :D

Number 5 is part of a crinoid calyx

An engaging story of maternal love and care,paleontology with beautiful pix.Kel,this is great stuff.

Where's that "hugely enjoyable" button.

There isn't one?

Mods,listen to me ,I want to lodge a complaint.

***Is once again dragged away,kicking and screaming "I'm well within my rights,this is a disgrace"**********

Edited by doushantuo

Number 5 is part of a crinoid calyx

An engaging story of maternal love and care,paleontology with beautiful pix.Kel,this is great stuff.

Where's that "hugely enjoyable" button.

There isn't one?

Mods,listen to me ,I want to lodge a complaint.

***Is once again dragged away,kicking and screaming "I'm well within my rights,this is a disgrace"**********

It is highly doubtful as being a crinoid calyx as the deposits this material is washing from is upper cretaceous and crinoids are found in much older deposits.

It is more likely to be a distorted section of an ammonite.

Having the kiddos out finding fossils is a great source of togetherness.

In my younger days I too enjoyed the company of my younger generation out finding and enjoying the outdoors.

Yeah got to keep a diligent eye on them, they have a knack for finding trouble when it seems to be a safe environment.

Your list is not just important but some of the materials listed are must haves.

If you do go to Post Oak Creek take the same precautions. Also use the same gravel bar techniques.

Good on you and yours.

• I found this Informative 2

Sounds like you had a fun trip. I bet the kids had a blast. One thing that will help you for next time is studying the shapes and textures of fossils that others find at NSR. My entire gallery is NSR finds. Hope it helps.

Looks like you had a great time and came home with some very nice finds, thank you for sharing your trip and finds, a very enjoyable read.

Regards

Mike

#1 is a tube worm? Wow, they look like teeth to me. Lol

See Kelly, nothing to be embarrassed about! I will say I didn't laugh at the thought of you bringing a hammer. Now the antibiotic ointment, I won't lie, made me giggle a bit. Lol Over all it looks like a productive day out filled with lot of fun. I'm glad you and your boys had an excellent time!! Very enjoyable trip report. Thank you

Best regards,

Paul

...I'm back.

I was not thinking worm tube either. I was thinking, "WOW, those are the most perfect little crinoid crowns I've ever seen!" Fooled me!

Sounds like you had a great adventure! I can't wait to get out there...

"Men became scientific because they expected Law in Nature, and they expected Law in Nature because they believed in a Legislator." - C.S. Lewis

KellyRae,

Thanks for the nice report and pictures.

You're creating memories your kids will carry for a lifetime!

Glad you all had a good time.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Kelly Rae,

Hi!!!

The shot of your boys walking by the fallen tree was either just before or just after my son and I went past you!!! We were out for a very short trip and we saw the group. Nate got to see the friendly (and very wet) dogs and as we passed you, one of the boys was enjoying the water and floating across the pool.

We are up almost every weekend from Wylie and we always have a blast. I look forward to saying Hi next time.

C U Soon,

Mitchell

post-19469-0-65013700-1461121169_thumb.jpg
Edited by wrfisherman

Mitchell

Don't Sit Still - - You'll Fossilize! :P

Kelly Rae,

Hi!!!

The shot of your boys walking by the fallen tree was either just before or just after my son and I went past you!!! We were out for a very short trip and we saw the group. Nate got to see the friendly (and very wet) dogs and as we passed you, one of the boys was enjoying the water and floating across the pool.

We are up almost every weekend from Wylie and we always have a blast. I look forward to saying Hi next time.

C U Soon,

Mitchell

No way! That is so awesome! My oldest isn't sure he wants to go back after "barefooting" it across the river, however, I think upon reflection he may change his mind. I'm going back for certain and I'll let you know if we head out again. It may be a few weeks, but I can't wait!

K

Kids love to go explore there. Glad you took them as children these days needs experiences like this. Of course my husband and I take our kids too...just the furry kind. Here's three of them...post-4072-0-49718800-1462971580_thumb.jpg. They love it and can run till their worn out which is what we love.

#5 may be just an internal mold of some sort. Lots of unidentifiable rocks there, some interesting enough to bring home for the rock gardens.

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

As a fossil lover and mom of a 6 year old I love that you posted this! And I always have antibiotic ointment handy just in case. lol. ;) Even if your oldest doesn't want to go back memories were made for sure... I would probably put money on him changing his mind though! :)

I tend to hunt in some crazy areas at NSR so I actually carry a small first aid kit in my backpack. It's come in handy quite a few times.

That's awesome Kelly! What great ages to be taken to an outdoor adventure. They will never forget and will have a whole new perspective on things. Hope you return soon 😄

North Central Texas

Eagle Ford Group / Ozan Formation