Reasonable price for this mammoth tooth?

jsvand5

I try to get my son something different besides the usual video games and toys for his birthday every year. Last year I got him a meteorite, the year before a couple keichousaurus plates, and this year I'm planning on a mammoth tooth. Looking for something decent sized that he'll be impressed with. What do you think about this one? It's 10" long, 6" tall and 4" wide. Looks pretty nice to me but I'm not at all experienced with these. Any info is appreciated or even a source to check out for the best specimens.

post-11369-0-98165300-1463153156_thumb.jpeg

post-11369-0-44147300-1463153166_thumb.jpeg

post-11369-0-53473100-1463153176_thumb.jpeg

post-11369-0-54115500-1463153190_thumb.jpeg

It looks like a nice tooth.

Please keep in mind that TFF is not a venue for value assessment. ;)

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

It is a pretty spectacular specimen!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

If you send it to me, I can pretend to be your adoptive son.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Where is the tooth from? PM PrehistoricFlorida to talk numbers.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Mammoth teeth and meteorites, I wish my dad had been that cool. Nice job. :thumbsu:

Mammoth teeth and meteorites, I wish my dad had been that cool. Nice job. :thumbsu:

The meteorite was a hit so hopefully this will work out too.

It's awesome to see someone else buying fossils for their kids for birthdays and other holidays besides the usual. We started a fossil collection for my daughter for her 3rd birthday. She will be 8 in a couple of months, and I have her birthday gift ready to go. :). The tooth fairy leaves dinosaur teeth under their pillows too! :).

• 6 months later...
On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 5:18 AM, Susan from PA said:

It's awesome to see someone else buying fossils for their kids for birthdays and other holidays besides the usual. We started a fossil collection for my daughter for her 3rd birthday. She will be 8 in a couple of months, and I have her birthday gift ready to go. :). The tooth fairy leaves dinosaur teeth under their pillows too! :).

You can be my adoptive mother as well, although my teeth stopped falling out very many moons ago.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

That's a pretty spectacular molar.

Be mindful that if this fossil is from the North Sea. There will be salt inside the fossil and it might need desilting by having it lay in fresh water to get the salt out of it. Without proper treatment fossils from the North Sea will often fall apart after a while. Sometimes after a week, sometimes after 30 years.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

3 hours ago, caldigger said:

You can be my adoptive mother as well, although my teeth stopped falling out very many moons ago.

Hehehe.  She just lost a tooth last night, and I had to leave money.  I was out of dinosaur teeth to give her. :(.    However, I do have a few fossils for her at Christmas time.  Some people have Santa Claus.  We have Santa "Claws". :) 

On 11/17/2016 at 4:52 PM, LordTrilobite said:

That's a pretty spectacular molar.

Be mindful that if this fossil is from the North Sea. There will be salt inside the fossil and it might need desilting by having it lay in fresh water to get the salt out of it. Without proper treatment fossils from the North Sea will often fall apart after a while. Sometimes after a week, sometimes after 30 years.

I talked to a gentleman that runs a website specializing in North Sea fossils and they claim to desalinate for an extended amount of time, seal them with a two part epoxy and then varnish them.

I think the seller above, if it's the same one I have looked at ads for, claims to desalinate for six weeks, thoroughly dry the item then seal it.

Dorensigbadges.JPG