Mazon Creek Shrimp? Mystery

deutscheben

This nodule from Pit 11 split earlier this week. It has a vaguely shrimp-like outline, including 2 "limbs" towards the top of the concretion, but that might just be wishful thinking. Any other suggestions as to what this might be, if anything? Thanks!

post-17917-0-84073100-1463330653_thumb.jpg

Looks coprolite-like to me but I'm notoriously bad at missing the faint clues that are used to identify the difficult fossil species from Mazon Creek. Whereas others have a much more creative imagination for seeing things in the fossils (even when they are not there), I have tuned my pareidolia down to minimal levels and often miss the subtle features that are picked up by those who have seen a lot more Mazon Creek nodules.

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks! I can definitely agree with that ID, the material does seem rather "chewed-up".

Chewed up and, uh, well....lets go with "chewed-up" then. :P

Never take my (admittedly novice) opinion for Mazon Creek fossils--many are so subtle that I only understand what they are after the experts weigh in and give an authoritative identification. That being said, it still does look like an "icky" ichnofossil. Planning on a Chicago visit in a few weeks and looking forward to a trip (or two) to experience the Mazon Magic again.

Cheers.

-Ken