Petrified Wood or Not?

Kimer

Hi, I just joined the forum and was wondering if someone could give me their best opinion as to whether I have dug up a big piece of petrified wood. I was digging one foot in diameter holes for posts for a new porch that I was putting on my house. As living in minnesota I tried to dig 6 feet deep for my footing. At about 5 foot I hit this rock. After turning my one foot diameter hole into a 6 foot diameter hole, with plenty of help I was able to get it out, spray it off with pressure washer and ended up with to me what looks like petrified wood. It's approximate measurements are 16" high, 22" diameter and 52" in circumference. It is extremely heavy for it's size. Heavier than a regular rock would be. Haven't weighed it but my guess would be close to 200 pounds. I will try to figure out how to load images. But until then, the object is my profile picture if you can tell anything from it. Thank you for any info you can give.

post-21487-0-59027800-1463450123_thumb.jpg

post-21487-0-46512000-1463450635_thumb.jpg

post-21487-0-31070700-1463450656_thumb.jpg

post-21487-0-69857500-1463450678_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kimer

Hard to tell from the pics, but I have seen petrified wood specimens with similar coloration to them. Could you try to take some better pics, maybe with different lighting ?

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Yes it looks like a large piece of petrified wood to me. A very pretty piece at that! :)

Edit: The pictures are pretty blurry, so I may not being seeing things properly.

Edited by TNCollector

Yes, it looks like petrified wood, but clearer pictures would help confirm it.

Certainly a cool piece.

-Lyall

Welcome to the Forum! :D

What I would specifically try to get a clear photo of is the grain of the stone on top. Judging by the vertical structure of the sides, that's where tree rings should be visible of its pet-wood.

Looks like a great find!

Looks like gneissic banding on the side. I think it is a metamorphic rock.

• I found this Informative 2