Favourite Lowcountry Sites Trip Reports

black3887

I also made Christmas presents with some of the teeth that I have found.  These are the necklaces:

neck1.jpg

neck2.jpg

necklace1.jpg

necklace2.jpg

necklace3.jpg

I must say, you've really come a long way in such a short span of time. What a fantastic collection you've amassed! And in between collecting you're making jewelery and working on a PhD! What's your subject, if I may ask?

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

@Ludwigia; thank you very much!  I am studying Pathology currently and I may actually join the MSTP/M.D./Ph.D. program here.  I specifically study the ErbB3/HER3 gene/protein and it's oncogenic role in various cancers (melanoma, breast, colorectal mainly).  I absolutely adore any and all things science!

Thank you everyone!

• 4 weeks later...

The last two weekends hunts:  Found some really amazing C. angustidens, H. serra, mako, ray plate, bone fragments, a nice piece of coprolite and an amazing portion of the left calvarial side and horn root of a bison

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 9:38 AM, black3887 said:

Thank you everyone, I truly have found a deep passion. I cannot wait for my weekends. It is a great motivator as well during the week to stay active. I am glad you all are enjoying the posts!

You do know the bone bug bite never, ever lets go, right :D

• 6 months later...

Yeah, I'm very late to this thread, but these are all incredible finds! I'll be in Columbia for the eclipse, but it looks like I'll have to travel an hour or two southeast to do some hunting.

Some recent finds from the past few months.  2 of my best C. angustidens teeth I've ever found, absolute beauties.  Finally found a P. benedini!  More photographs to be uploaded later; this is about 1/3 of what I've found in the past 5 months.  The horse tooth was found by a friend.

angustidens.jpg

lot3.jpg

bene.jpg

close4.jpg

close3.jpg

close2.jpg

close1.jpg

lightning2.jpg

lightning.jpg

bettermeg.jpg

lot2.jpg

horse2.jpg

horse1.jpg

lot1.jpg

meg2.jpg

meg1.jpg

wow, you're getting into some great teeth! Congrats:fistbump:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

The lightening Strikes are absolutely gorgeous!  What is fascinating too is the one of the left has the "strike" in the root as well as the enamel so I think this knocks down the "idea" that this is solely a reaction between enamel and plant roots.  I'm pretty sure I have some bone fragments with strike on them too but never to the magnitude that is seen on the teeth.

I'm interested too in some of the earlier finds you posted that showed eroded or decayed root but nice enamel.  Is there an explanation for why the root is decayed? (The angustidens and others in Jan 31 posting).

Thanks!

Very nice teeth. How did he make those cabinets? I have a bunch of fossils that need a home.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

@Calvin JenkinsThank you very much.  I love the patterning as well.  The eroded roots may be due to the root being exposed and the enamel still within the fossil layer (more protected from environmental factors) when I found the teeth or perhaps due to the acidity/alkalinity of the soil/layer surrounding the tooth and since the root is more porous or exposed it may be eroded more easily than the enamel which is a more hardy/non-porous material?  That is just a guess on my behalf.  I will research this and get back to you.

@Fossil-HoundThank you.  He found the cabinet shell at World Market store on sale and then he made shelves and installed lighting for me.  We also regularly check Goodwill or other thrift stores for cabinets that may be modified into a curio cabinet.

6 minutes ago, black3887 said:

@Calvin JenkinsThank you very much.  I love the patterning as well.  The eroded roots may be due to the root being exposed and the enamel still within the fossil layer (more protected from environmental factors) when I found the teeth or perhaps due to the acidity/alkalinity of the soil/layer surrounding the tooth and since the root is more porous or exposed it may be eroded more easily than the enamel which is a more hardy/non-porous material?  That is just a guess on my behalf.  I will research this and get back to you.

@Fossil-HoundThank you.  He found the cabinet shell at World Market store on sale and then he made shelves and installed lighting for me.  We also regularly check Goodwill or other thrift stores for cabinets that may be modified into a curio cabinet.

That's a good idea. I keep seeing nice cabinets on Craigslist. Perhaps I'll mod one to have lights. You should see @gavialboy Thresher tooth. He found a monster yesterday.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda