Dicranurus monstrosus restoration

Hello,

I am looking at this Dicranurus that is being offered at a very reasonable price, but I am not sure how much work has been done. I am curious to read opinions about it, particularly the right side and the spines--to me they look like they have been reconstructed.

I appreciate all input and advice :) !

01414_d1EzdUnAeTP_600x450.jpg

00E0E_jfImnj9oRhW_600x450.jpg

00z0z_9VJQenVlvkU_600x450.jpg

00W0W_5oBGvjxIRiy_600x450.jpg

Reese

I suspect some of it is real, there are definitely join marks in the spines which could be reconstruction (fabricated) or just gluing back what broke off during prep. The right side does look wonky and there appear to be tiny bubbles in some of the exoskeleton which is a sign of restoration. The crack running through the matrix continuing through the pygidial spines is a good sign that that part is real.

• I found this Informative 1

Some details are there, but what is very reasonable price range?

A lot of these spiny species are found with problems, missing/broken spines, molts etc. Very rarely perfect, so expect restorations, if looking for a bargain deal (but try to avoid fakes/casts - 2. photo below), reasonable quality/price range will still cost a few hunderd dollars minimum.

Speaking in general there`s about 30% chance that a promissing looking crossection of unpreped Dicranurus specimen will turn out good with both librigenia (checks), cephalon, pygidium and thorax, all in place. I guess a broken spine or two or drifted librigenia are the least of the problem. Considering that and commercial "quick brute force" prep-approach, most of Dicranurus specimens in the maket are restored. And it`s also a species that is faked a lot, almost all specimens with horns still covered in matrix are usually fake/casts. The specimen you are asking about seems natural, some broken and reattached spines, definitely restored parts, but hard to judge how much resto was done from photos. Could have looked similar (perhaps with less missing parts) to this example below during prep, before the "makeup"...

Dicranurus with typical problem during prep in Morocco:

post-9201-0-96046300-1464020828_thumb.jpg

A real specimen will show details, such as tuberculated glabela and horns (besides break lines and other), as shown in this photo (but this detail usually gets erased over-blasting, so not always...):

post-9201-0-44366100-1464022413_thumb.jpg

This one is from a well known website, a typical fake/cast to stay away from (especially, when priced around 200-300$!):

post-9201-0-44656400-1464021691_thumb.jpg

Edited by aeon.rocks

Thank you both very much for the input :) !

Some details are there, but what is very reasonable price range?

It is offered at $400, though I would hope to snag it for a bit less if I went for it.

Not sure if that`s a very reasonable price really, sounds fair perhaps, but I wouldn`t pay that much for that quality, without knowing exactly what work was done and location information. If seller can`t provide that, I wouldn`t buy. Goes for any trilobite or fossil! Surely, a professional carefully preped Dicranurus specimen could cost you close to 1000$ quickly or even around 2000$, depending on size and other factors, but that takes a lot more time, skilled work and luck.

Looks like a decent specimen and I`m aware not everyone cares about details (which look mostly burned, probably to cover up scribe marks/hits, perhaps skin is even painted over), but still find it silly to pay 400$ to a reseller (probably), if you have to ask about restorations in a forum...

Edited by aeon.rocks

Ask the seller about it or to send you photos in UV (short and long)...

The seller stated it did not fluoresce under UV, but did not provide pictures.

I'm going to pass on this one--thank you for all the advice!

Reese

Np! Some restorations don`t fluorescent in long-wavelength UV, but do in short-wavelength UV!

If all natural at least glued parts would show... Spines on almost all commercially preped specimens are usually broken intentionaly to prep em freestanding and reglued back in the end (and when you start breaking a spine it usually doesn`t stop with one clean break), it`s more tricky and takes to long to prep otherwise. Check free-standing spines in 1. and 2. photo, not really detailed shots, but you can see spots with different shades/glair. Should probably fluorescent in short-WL UV light. As Malcomt mentioned already, those are either filled up/reconstructed parts or reglued... If that`s all the work done it`s normal and you`re lucky, but my guess is there`s probably more.