Found an old patch of gravel. Crinoid and coral?

icycatelf

While we've had gravel brought in since, there's a small patch of gravel near the garage that was already here before we moved here 13-ish years ago that never really caught my eye. I checked it out yesterday and, to my surprise, I actually found more than what I typically do while looking through the gravel in my much larger driveway in a day.

I found this first, which resembles a cluster of miniature Cheerios. There's actually a lot of this in that patch. Coral instantly came to mind, but I can't find any pictures that look quite like it. After I took the picture, I noticed a small disc with radiating lines to the left that I'm not sure if it's a crinoid columnal (it looks like it might have a dot in the center) or a section through coral/bryozoan. Piece measures about 3cm wide.

DWpjcub.jpg

Then I found this that I thought was really cool. It appears to me to be a crinoid stalk. Piece measures about 3cm tall.

hCxO1bh.jpg

Here are a couple of brachiopods that I also found in that patch if it helps ID the age (I assume Mississippian) and/or formation that they came from:

Rpu43iQ.jpg

BTOE64k.jpg

Edited by icycatelf

Casual surface-collector and Pokémon fan. QPn3FY1.gif

The first one, in my opinion, is an Oolite composed of ooids, spherical grains with concentric layers of Calcium Carbonate. More details here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oolite

Here is a polished one in my collection, from Madagascar (35 mm in diameter) : post-17588-0-61255400-1464111122_thumb.jpg

Edited by abyssunder
  • I found this Informative 4

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Oolite could contain foraminiferans or other little fossil fragments, also, the tiny ooids could form around these.
The little pentagonal " thing" looks to be a crinoid columnal to me.

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I think you're right, the second photo might show a crinoid.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

I'd like to add that "ooid" is fun to say, but difficult to work into everyday conversation. =-)