The Amateur Paleontologist

Hi everyone,

This summer I am going to Italy and was wondering in which museum the all-famous Scipionyx samniticus holotype is housed.

Thanks for any help,

Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Hi everyone,

This summer I am going to Italy and was wondering in which museum the all-famous Scipionyx samniticus holotype is housed.

Thanks for any help,

Christian

LINK 1

LINK 2

;)

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks!

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

On 6/11/2016 at 8:30 AM, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for any help,

Christian

On 6/11/2016 at 9:54 AM, Fossildude19 said:

Evidently Museo Civico di Storia Naturale di Milano only has replicas of the holotype.

The original holotype is in Salerno. The answer is in the publication you posted: LINK

QUOTE:

The holotype and only known specimen of Scipionyx samniticus is housed at the Soprintendenza per i Beni Archeologici di Salerno, Avellino, Benevento e Caserta with the inventory number SBA–SA 163760.

Holotype - Nearly complete, articulated skeleton with fossilised soft tissues, housed in Salerno (Campania), Italy, at the Soprintendenza per i Beni Archeologici di Salerno, Avellino, Benevento e Caserta with inventory number SBA-SA 163760.

Dal Sasso, C., & Maganuco, S. (2011)
Scipionyx samniticus (Theropoda: Compsognathidae) from the Lower Cretaceous of Italy - Osteology, ontogenetic assessment, phylogeny, soft tissue anatomy, taphonomy and palaeobiology.
Memorie della Società Italiana de Scienze Naturali e del Museo Civico di Storia Naturale di Milano 37(1):1-281

• I found this Informative 1

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Evidently Museo Civico di Storia Naturale di Milano only has replicas of the holotype.

The original holotype is in Salerno. The answer is in the publication you posted: LINK

QUOTE:

The holotype and only known specimen of Scipionyx samniticus is housed at the Soprintendenza per i Beni Archeologici di Salerno, Avellino, Benevento e
Caserta with the inventory number SBA–SA 163760.
Holotype - Nearly complete, articulated skeleton with fossilised soft tissues, housed in Salerno (Campania), Italy, at the Soprintendenza per i Beni Archeologici di Salerno, Avellino, Benevento e Caserta with inventory number SBA-SA 163760.
Scipionyx samniticus (Theropoda: Compsognathidae) from the Lower Cretaceous of Italy - Osteology, ontogenetic assessment, phylogeny, soft tissue anatomy, taphonomy and palaeobiology.
Memorie della Società Italiana de Scienze Naturali e del Museo Civico di Storia Naturale di Milano 37(1):1-281

Thanks Scott. :)

Just goes to show you can't trust Wikipedia:

"Displays include fossils of several plants and animals. Among the most valuable specimens are the skeletons of two pygmy elephants (Palaeoloxodon falconeri) from Sicily and the only existing fossil of the coelurosaurian theropod Scipionix samniticus."

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The original holotype may not be available for public viewing. It would be available for someone with proper research credentials.

Contact the museum in Salerno for additional details.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

I agree with piranha... just cause it is housed at a certain museum does not mean that it is on display. Conversely, if someone else says they have it on display,it maybe a cast.

QUOTE:

The holotype and only known specimen of Scipionyx samniticus is housed at the Soprintendenza per i Beni Archeologici di Salerno, Avellino, Benevento e
Caserta with the inventory number SBA–SA 163760.

Oh no…! I was only going to Venice and Milano, and was hoping to see the holotype at the Natural History Museum of Milan :( .

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile