Where In Lake Texoma Can I Find Ammonites?

DChalo

I've heard stories of people finding ammonites in lake texoma and i want to know what part of it. Do i need a boat to ge to them? Are there a lot of them?

Well, since you asked a serious question, I am going to give you a chance and give you a serious answer. Those stories are true. They are all around the lake at various spots. Unfortunately, they are about 10 feet under water right now (seriously). I was going to go there this weekend with my local club, but the trip was canceled because of the lake water level. A boat could help, but is not necessary. A lot of walking is though. I have seen quite a few there before, but many are embedded in the rock and it takes a lot of work to get them out. The area is heavily collected. Do some research on the geology of the area and you might get lucky. Good luck.

Here are two that are still there.Only thing is you will need a mask and snorkel to get to em!

Once the water goes down at Lake Texoma you will see plenty of ammonite pieces if you do some beach combing around the Denison Dam area following the shoreline to the West. If you get lucky and find a whole large specimen.....be prepared to lug out some serious weight in your backpack or whatever you use for fossil transportation.

post-417-1242878892_thumb.jpg

Here are two that are still there.Only thing is you will need a mask and snorkel to get to em!

Once the water goes down at Lake Texoma you will see plenty of ammonite pieces if you do some beach combing around the Denison Dam area following the shoreline to the West. If you get lucky and find a whole large specimen.....be prepared to lug out some serious weight in your backpack or whatever you use for fossil transportation.

post-417-1242878892_thumb.jpg

Awesome pic Barry, and typical of those steps/limestone blocks. That particular spot, if I recall correctly, is now under about 6' of water.

Chalo - Better bring a chisel, hammer and crowbar if you're going to have any chance of getting one of those out.

With that being said "that's how I roll..." Of course, you'd need that snorkeling gear, too!

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Hey! Those are part of my statewide in situ collection! :P

I'm sure they will stay there for a while.There are much cleaner looking specimens around!

About a month ago I left an eight inch Mortonoceras with a 2ft x 1ft piece of matrix attached to it.It had just weathered out of the uppermost portion of the Duck Creek fm.Way too heavy for that long arduous walk.

Too bad motorized vehicles aren't allowed.My garden area would be full of Morts and Eo's..................

Just curious, guys... I have a friend that claims to have found an area off the lake where there was a ton of mammoth bones (he had pictures of one). Do you guys ever find Pleistocene fossils in the lake at times of low water level or does this sound bogus?

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

Just curious, guys... I have a friend that claims to have found an area off the lake where there was a ton of mammoth bones (he had pictures of one). Do you guys ever find Pleistocene fossils in the lake at times of low water level or does this sound bogus?

I have never found anything but marine material there.

• 1 year later...

Just FYI (near the lake): http://www.kxii.com/home/headlines/Mammoth_Bones_Excavated_117839448.html

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

Ughhhh... that TV station story says that mammoth bones are dinosaur bones. I think one of you Texans needs to set them straight.

Have you followed up on this at all??

I would suggest reporting the find to the Dallas Paleo Society or at least posting the pictures here.

Ughhhh... that TV station story says that mammoth bones are dinosaur bones. I think one of you Texans needs to set them straight.

There are videos for two similar but different versions of this story but they both get it right in the final text.

I believe it was just the intro to the one version where the reporter said the residents (not even amateurs) thought they were dinos and that this was confirmed. The reporter in the actual story said that the excavators knew what they had when they got access to the site.

Yes and they had several paleos from the Dallas area that should have set things straight.

Edited by fossiladdict

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

Yes and they had several paleos from the Dallas area that should have set things straight.

I don't think the DPS people knew the reporter who did the intro for the story would say something that uninformed. The filming was done the day before the story ran. Also it's not typical for a station to make a correction later for something that would seem minor to people less passionate about fossils than ourselves. If you Google Sherman mammoth you'll see two different versions, the other one got it right. It may be less painful to watch that one :P

I don't think the DPS people knew the reporter who did the intro for the story would say something that uninformed. The filming was done the day before the story ran. Also it's not typical for a station to make a correction later for something that would seem minor to people less passionate about fossils than ourselves. If you Google Sherman mammoth you'll see two different versions, the other one got it right. It may be less painful to watch that one :P

Yes I've seen both already. I just make a quick link to show that the bones do exist in this area...guess I should have chosen the correct one :blink:

if you don't want the media to misquote you or get the story wrong then don't talk to them. moments of fame are hugely overrated.

And this is how newbies become fossilers....

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/03/21/texas-boys-discover-fossil-gold/?cmpid=cmty_email_Gigya_Texas_Boys_Discover_'Fossil_Gold_Mine'

Very cool to say the least; that just means I need to keep a look out for such finds as this :P

I noticed the story said Southeast of Sherman which might make it on or near Choctaw Creek so when Ed S. mentions Red River he's including the whole watershed. That's a huge area, we better start looking now! :o

@ fossil addict thanks for posting that link. Its great to see young kids doing the responsible thing with their finds.