Found in Kentucky

Macaronifeather

What could this strange rock be? It has striations and

Some black stuff. Any thoughts or ideas appreciated.

post-16266-0-41248900-1467066449_thumb.jpeg

post-16266-0-32968300-1467066526_thumb.jpeg

post-16266-0-76286900-1467066535_thumb.jpeg

post-16266-0-23383800-1467066544_thumb.jpeg

any chance of the thin black layer being a stylolite,because of it's morphology(thin,more or less zig-zag)?

In my not so humble opinion, it is limestone, and the end that you are holding upward is the native sediment, and the bottom part has gone through a diagenesis towards becoming dolomite. The black stuff is magnesium, which is reacting with the limestone to transform it from CaCO3 to CaMg(CO3)2.

The striations are actually the facets of the growing dolomite crystals.

Edited by tmaier
  • I found this Informative 1

In my not so humble opinion, it is limestone, and the end that you are holding upward is the native sediment, and the bottom part has gone through a diagenesis towards becoming dolomite. The black stuff is magnesium, which is reacting with the limestone to transform it from CaCO3 to CaMg(CO3)2.

The striations are actually the facets of the growing dolomite crystals.

I'm glad you piped up tmaier, because I had some questions. My first thought was crystals, but I noticed some banding or texture that's orthogonal to the apparent growth. Because that horizontal texture is visible in the white material, it almost looks like the white material is flowed onto the substrate--the sort of thing you see in cave formations. I was thinking that crystals should look a bit more regular and they should just do their own thing regardless of the substrate texture. Of course all of this assumes the horizontal banding happened first, but it looks like it based on the yellow bands near the top of the photo. Thoughts?

Info: Craig Hyatt, retired software/electrical engineer

Experience: Beginner, fossil hunting less than a year

Location: Eagle Pass, TX USA on the border with Mexico, hot dry desert

Formation: Escondido, Marine, Upper Cretaceous

Materials: Sandstone, Mudstone, Shale, Chert, Chalk

Typical: Thalassinoides, Sphenodiscus, Exogyra, Inoceramus

Reference: http://txfossils.com/Txfossils.html

Correct me if I ám wrong but stylolites and dolomite often go together,don't they?

Pressure solution<->diagenesis

The stylolitic seams could/might be filled with a magnesium rich clay,perhaps montmorillonite?

Edited by doushantuo

any chance of the thin black layer being a stylolite,because of it's morphology(thin,more or less zig-zag)?

After first searching styolite to see what that is.... I think it might not be, because the fracture seems to extend straight down on one end. Or maybe it's a segment of a styolite, and the other fractures happened later.

This chunk of rock is a great geology lesson. :-)

Info: Craig Hyatt, retired software/electrical engineer

Experience: Beginner, fossil hunting less than a year

Location: Eagle Pass, TX USA on the border with Mexico, hot dry desert

Formation: Escondido, Marine, Upper Cretaceous

Materials: Sandstone, Mudstone, Shale, Chert, Chalk

Typical: Thalassinoides, Sphenodiscus, Exogyra, Inoceramus

Reference: http://txfossils.com/Txfossils.html

Stylolites form at lithological discontinuities(carbonate grainsize might control compaction and/or dissolution)...............

Edited by doushantuo

This could be formed from a cave, and water and maybe pressure was likely involved, causing the banding that you see. Crystals don't often get a perfect environment for growth, so they aren't always perfect or regular. I think the banding that you see is staining, maybe from the mineral form of magnesium.

If one end is limestone and the other end dolomite, then vinegar will fizz on the limestone end and will not fizz on the dolomite end.

• I found this Informative 3

Probably because of the Appalachian orogeny,I suppose(compressional deformation)

Large scale tectonics affecting the Great American Carbonate Bank?

Edited by doushantuo

I was too obsessed with th stylolite :P .

Good call about the slickensides,Supertramp

I think you are right howard;

looking carefully at the rock, it really seems to be a fragment of a (columnar?) large amplitude stylolite (much less common than low amplitude ones in “my” Apennines), with the striated sides produced by friction during the interpenetration of the interlocked prisms.

thank you

http://earthinsightcache.blogspot.it/2010/03/weathered-stylolites-in-silurian.html

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/chucksutherland/5390340845/

http://www.lakeneosho.org/Russia/Stratig3.html