Real Triceratops or other?

Triceratops77

I believe its a real tooth I just was wondering if its a Triceratops or just generalized as a Triceratops? Seller had perfect feedback.

Triceratops Hell Creek 0.75 " LONG and 0.5 " WIDE

File%20Jul%2008%201%2000%2018%20PM_zpsfk

File%20Jul%2008%201%2000%2036%20PM_zpscn

It's a real Triceratops spitter tooth meaning that it's a tooth that fell out and was digested. These teeth are very common. Hope this helps!

P.s. Don't always rely on perfect feedback for a seller to sell authentic fossils. I've seen sellers with perfect feedback sell mislabeled and fake fossils before.

• I found this Informative 1

It's a real Triceratops spitter tooth meaning that it's a tooth that fell out and was digested. These teeth are very common. Hope this helps!

P.s. Don't always rely on perfect feedback for a seller to sell authentic fossils. I've seen sellers with perfect feedback sell mislabeled and fake fossils before.

Good to hear thanks and I totally agree on the feedback thing. I have never purchased a fossil online nor have I owned a Triceratops tooth so I appreciate the help. Thank you!

Good to hear thanks and I totally agree on the feedback thing. I have never purchased a fossil online nor have I owned a Triceratops tooth so I appreciate the help. Thank you!

No problem, glad I could help! If you plan on making a purchase in the future it doesn't hurt to ask this forum! It's a great tool.

Edited by Runner64

It certainly may be from a Triceratops sp. that is if you are in the group that supports the theory that there is only one large ceratopsian in the Hell Creek. We have the controversary around Torosaurus and there are a couple of skulls floating around that their owners believe are new species. Here is one that was shown at the Tucson show by a famous paleontologist. My gut says it's probably Trike but science says the dinosaurs of the Hell Creek will still need some time to shake out. A paleontologist will tell you to call it Ceratopsian indet. I think your fine calling it Triceratops sp.

post-10935-0-42842700-1468016927_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Don't forget the possible new species of ceratopsian that was apart of the dueling dinosaurs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAEf8IxQ6v4

When I looked at this skull it looked like a Pachyrhinosaurus. It was still in the big block so pictures were difficult. Here is a cool image of the bottom of the foot. Later examination of this skull have some knowledgeable paleontologists saying it's just a very aged Triceratops which has lost its horns. When the Nano gets studied will find out what this is.

post-10935-0-86835500-1468280741_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

the tooth in question is certainly a ceratopsian. The pictures show it with the chewing surface on the table, root up. I am a Trike/Toro separatist so I would label it 'ceratosian sp'. Having said that, in conversation I usually just call them all triceratops.