Is this fossil real?

Jordanralphy

I picked up an ammonite fossil on holiday and the lady in the shop said its from Madagascar and believes it's real, what do you think? How old may it be if it is real?post-21953-0-98985300-1468262358_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Jordanralphy

Welcome to TFF!

It is a real fossil. It is an ammonite species from Madagascar, and they are fairly common.

Others can give the age and be more specific about the species name.

Tony

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Definitely real and from Madagascar! We might need to see the non-polished side in order to tell you what species. Do you mind sending a picture from that angle?

These ammonites are lower/early cretaceous so they're about 113-100 million years old.

Definitely real and from Madagascar! We might need to see the non-polished side in order to tell you what species. Do you mind sending a picture from that angle?

These ammonites are lower/early cretaceous so they're about 113-100 million years old.

post-21953-0-46336800-1468264908_thumb.jpeg

I hope that could possibly help? Thankyou! :)

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

I hope that could possibly help? Thankyou! :)

That helps! I am by no means an expert with ammonites but by comparing photos I'm guessing it's a Cleoniceras cleon.

That helps! I am by no means an expert with ammonites but by comparing photos I'm guessing it's a Cleoniceras cleon.

Thank you! Do you know what the inside parts are and what they all did or were used for?

This is the shell of a relative of the squid. the chambers were used for ballast -- so the ammonite could hold or change it's depth in the water.

Tony

Edited by ynot

This is the shell of a relative of the squid. the chambers were used for ballast -- so the ammonite could hold or change it's depth in the water.

Tony

Interesting, I've heard they only lived in the last chamber of the shell, but this doesn't seem to have one? So what does that mean?

The body of the ammonite lived in the largest chamber and built on it continuously as they got bigger. They would add a new wall when the living chamber got to big. There is a tube that runs through all of the chambers.

This living chamber is missing in Your piece, as it is on most of them.

Tony

Edited by ynot

If that is not real, then i'm dilusional (it's real).

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

cleoniceras besairiei or cleoniceras cleon are both candidates worth considering.

• I found this Informative 1

It's a lazy man that can't find his wife a second job!

cleoniceras besairiei or cleoniceras cleon are both candidates worth considering.

What do you mean?

What do you mean?

cleoniceras besairiei and cleoniceras cleon are 2 species of ammonites and Yours could be either one or something else.

Tony

Interesting, I've heard they only lived in the last chamber of the shell, but this doesn't seem to have one? So what does that mean?

On so many of these cut and polished ammos, the ends are cut off and ground flat to make it more visually pleasing for display purposes.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

cleoniceras besairiei and cleoniceras cleon are 2 species of ammonites and Yours could be either one or something else.

Tony

Thanks Tony

It's a lazy man that can't find his wife a second job!