A question about Cosmopolitodus (Isurus) planus

ynot

2 hours ago, ynot said:

@isurus90064, @MarcoSr,

Would like Your opinions on this subject please.

Tony

Tony

The largest planus I've personally seen is in the 2 1/4 inch range but I don't get to Bakersfield a lot to collect.  Typically a planus over 2 inches is a big planus.  The 2.5 inch tooth in question is 100% C. hastalis.  My sons and I have thousands of East Coast C. hastalis and we see teeth with curved tips like the tooth in question and we don't have planus on the East Coast.  Below is a picture of a hastalis with a curved tip that I had on hand.  I have many more and some with more of a curve but don't have the time to take more pictures.

58e913d1a9449_C.hastalis.thumb.JPG.e7e56c1090b6c1549c29ab35d9f935c1.JPG

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 2

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Really late to this party ...

Definitely hastalis. the root structure is hastalis, the crown curve is throwing it off, although the distal cutting edge profile on this tooth is purely concave, on planus it is sigmoidal or partially sigmoidal (at a minimum a flattening of the cutting edge profile towards the tip; there are exceptions to that as well).

Also, in West Coast Middle Miocene deposits such as STH you don't see as many curved or hooked teeth in hastalis as you do on the east coast contemporaries (or European ones for that matter). However, they do exist and this is a prime example of that.

• I found this Informative 1

So, the answer to the original question (how big do planus teeth get?)  is .... 2.25 inches.

On 10/20/2019 at 7:43 PM, isurus90064 said:

Really late to this party ...

Definitely hastalis. the root structure is hastalis, the crown curve is throwing it off, although the distal cutting edge profile on this tooth is purely concave, on planus it is sigmoidal or partially sigmoidal (at a minimum a flattening of the cutting edge profile towards the tip; there are exceptions to that as well).

Also, in West Coast Middle Miocene deposits such as STH you don't see as many curved or hooked teeth in hastalis as you do on the east coast contemporaries (or European ones for that matter). However, they do exist and this is a prime example of that.

Thanks for the input. Very helpful.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.