How to repair cephalopod - which adhesives or repairers?

Mel C

Hi forum,

Newbie here. As the pics convey - I've had a breakage with my cephelapod.

Can anyone suggest how to go about repairing? What adhesives should be used? Are there repairers who I could take this to instead?

The fossil pieces fit together reasonably well.

The backing is a concrete slab of sorts, so no idea how to bond this strongly enough given there is only around 3/4 inch surface area.

Thank you.

post-21960-0-62893000-1468505102_thumb.jpg

post-21960-0-70739700-1468505103_thumb.jpg

post-21960-0-44140400-1468505104_thumb.jpg

high strength epoxy perhaps

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

I agree with Herb. A thorough, but thin application.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Maybe find a thin piece of marble or other pretty stone cut to the dimensions or slightly larger than the original backing to provide further support to the high strength epoxy repair mentioned already. It would visually be like a double matted picture but really added for support as a way to prevent future breakage. Beautiful ceph by the way.

Mike

Thanks everyone, very helpful! Are there specific adhesives or brands you could recommend/suggest? I've been reading the other forum posts and am worried about selecting the wrong glue for the task. Shrinking or too thick etc.

Any guidance on which products & brands to buy would be very welcome.

Oh, and would I use the same high strength epoxy on both the fossil itself and the broken concrete slab/mount?

I believe your "cement" backing is the tooled limestone in which the fossil is embedded. I do feel the length and thinness of your base may be susceptible to further breakage in the future. No matter what adhesive you choose to use, that breakage area will always be a weak point on this plate. I think, as others have suggested, you should mount something on the back spanning the break and far beyond to add stability to the piece. Even adhering a strong metal plate (doesn't have to be visible from the front) to the back will aid in keeping the area more ridged.

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Thank you Caldigger - I had no idea! The piece was found in a bric-a-brac store so there was no information / education about it at all. I am fast on the learning curve of my new love of fossils!

I will look for a support structure for the back, as suggested.

For the epoxy - can anyone comment on whether Bonstone Fast Set Extreme is suitable for both limestone & the broken fossil pieces? It says it is for limestone vertical bonds.

https://bonstone.com/products/fast-set-extreme/