Fake dino claw

I'm sure that anyone can see that this is an obvious fake, but I've seen that the seller has sold many many other items claimed to be something that they are not. So, even it should be clear, this is not a dino claw but just an odd shaped rock. The seller has already sold 3 false claws, so beware!

post-16312-0-30699400-1469041662_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

He's been trying to sell that claw for a while with no success but he's asking big money. Glad you resurfaced it we had fun with it back in May. No way to stop these type of sellers just keep collectors informed. It's sad you hear that he's sold some others.

• I found this Informative 1

Careful of dino 'claws'. My friend is quite good with a lathe. He can take a chunk of dino bone and make a darn good specimen that is hard for me to distinguish from the real thing ...and we collect the real thing.

The one on the left is definitely a stone shaped like a claw. He's asking big big money for the 7" one so hopefully only knowledgeable collectors are looking at it and will pass.

Again it pays for collectors to post it here BEFORE they buy..

• I found this Informative 4

Careful of dino 'claws'. My friend is quite good with a lathe. He can take a chunk of dino bone and make a darn good specimen that is hard for me to distinguish from the real thing ...and we collect the real thing.

Its easy to distinguish between fake claws and the real thing.the one thing the fakes cannot do is follow the natural cell structure of the claw,in a fake the cell structure is in straight lines and no curve,in the real deal there is a very pronounced curve i the natural cells of the claw.here is a complete fake,,hope you can see what I mean..cells are not following a natural curve.post-10695-0-00374300-1469630577_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Good point George. Most of the fabricated claws I've see come from Morocco and are easily recognizable for the more experienced collector. Novices have a harder time and your photo helps with that. I still recommend that buyers post first before you buy especially if you are a novice.

I think the bigger issue with claws is a deceptive claim of what restoration has been done. There are some good resto people out there that not only can sculpt but paint quite well. Photos are not always the best at seeing the work done. Buyers just need to be able to return the item if its not has advertised.