Need Id For Texas Fossil

fossil26

I personally think it's organic in origin. In the first pic the knobs have definite patterns of radiation and sizing by zone. In the second pic there's an increase in the size of the polygons to one side, as if by design.

Will a magnet stick to it?

(Humor me).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

(Humor me).

I was thinking the same thing. Possibly an unusual piece of hematite.

How about Mogollon.

Yes I've heard Mogollon mispronounced often... the first time was probably as it came out of my own mouth... :rolleyes:

"don’t you lock up something that you wanted to see fly..." chris cornell / soundgarden

(Humor me).

Wow!...a lot of interesting posts...and I tried the magnet..no sticking. Yes, the Study Butte, Terlingua, and Lajitas area

in Texas is a very interesting place. It's desert with a lot of character and history that we've enjoyed visiting for more

than 20 years.

Sorry I didn't list the time period on my first post. It is lower cretaceous. Nearby formations are Aguja and Javelina

which both contain dinosaur remains like the giant crocodilian Deinosuchus riograndensis, the horned dinosaur Chasmosaurus mariscalensis, and the hadrosaur Kritosaurus sp. The pen formation, which is marine containing turtles, sharks, fish. They also have been doing research at microsites in Big Bend National Park which contained dinosaur egg shells suggested that there was nesting going on in the area.

here is some interesting dino info going on in Big Bend Park located right next to the study butte area:

http://www.nps.gov/bibe/naturescience/dino.htm

Thanks for all the possible id's. If it turns out to not be a fossil. It sure is an interesting pseudo-fossil :D

Yes I've heard Mogollon mispronounced often... the first time was probably as it came out of my own mouth... :rolleyes:

And your pronunciation of "Mogollon" is . . . ?

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

For some this way "mōgōyōn'" those on the rim "Mug-y-yon"(Muggy-own), Since I spent a good deal of time pannin' Big and Little White water Creek, the last way is how I say it. God I miss it. :(

I still have land and a cabin in New Mexico, need to make a run out there and check it out.

And your pronunciation of "Mogollon" is . . . ?

Now I pronounce it "Mōgōyōn".

but that first time went something like this: "Mo... uh... Mogo.. uh... ..." :unsure:

My understanding is that Mogollon was the last name of a Spanish governor of New Mexico in the early 1700's (think I read that on Wikipedia).

So the original pronunciation would have been ""Mōgōyōn"... but after 300 years it would, of course, be Americanized to some extent.

"don’t you lock up something that you wanted to see fly..." chris cornell / soundgarden

I still have land and a cabin in New Mexico, need to make a run out there and check it out.

Cloudcroft? High Rolls?

from your posts it seems like you know this area well (ie: your comment about the fossil location near the tunnel)

Now I pronounce it "Mōgōyōn".

but that first time went something like this: "Mo... uh... Mogo.. uh... ..." :unsure:

My understanding is that Mogollon was the last name of a Spanish governor of New Mexico in the early 1700's (think I read that on Wikipedia).

So the original pronunciation would have been ""Mōgōyōn"... but after 300 years it would, of course, be Americanized to some extent.

That seems like a reasonable transliteration; but, what about the accents? Is one syllable emphasized over the others as in "YAH.mah" ("llama")??

Is it "MO.go.yon" or "MO.GO.yon" or "mo.GO.yon" or "mo.go.YON"???

:huh?:

What seest thou else

That seems like a reasonable transliteration; but, what about the accents? Is one syllable emphasized over the others as in "YAH.mah" ("llama")??

Is it "MO.go.yon" or "MO.GO.yon" or "mo.GO.yon" or "mo.go.YON"???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mogollon_culture :

"The name Mogollon comes from the Mogollon Mountains, which were named after Don Juan Ignacio Flores Mogollón, Spanish Governor of New Mexico from 1712-1715."

Apparently the accent was originally on the last syllable, but I hear it pronounced just as often with accent on the first, or even spread between the two.

As JP pointed out, there are various accepted pronunciations, at least in this part of the country, and as long as you get the Spanish double-L sound correct, I don't think you're going to generate any funny looks.

(Fossil26 ~ my apologies for straying so far off-topic here!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mogollon_culture :

"The name Mogollon comes from the Mogollon Mountains, which were named after Don Juan Ignacio Flores Mogollón, Spanish Governor of New Mexico from 1712-1715."

Apparently the accent was originally on the last syllable, but I hear it pronounced just as often with accent on the first, or even spread between the two.

As JP pointed out, there are various accepted pronunciations, at least in this part of the country, and as long as you get the Spanish double-L sound correct, I don't think you're going to generate any funny looks.

(Fossil26 ~ my apologies for straying so far off-topic here!)

Thank you for the info, 'fossil_femme'. Perhaps we can get one of the Spanish subscribers to weigh in with a Castillian pronunciation.

Language, including names, is easily corrupted. What do you suppose the local pronunciation of Lafayette County (Florida) sounds like? (This is a quiz.) :)

What seest thou else

What do you suppose the local pronunciation of Lafayette County (Florida) sounds like? (This is a quiz.) :)

My first instinct would be to say "La-fay-ET", or even "La-fee-ET"... but that would be too obvious... wouldn't it?

I think that's how we pronounced the name of General Lafayette when we studied the American Revolution in grade school ( insert sound of rusty, grinding gears as I try to think back that far ).

But wouldn't the French pronunciation be something more like "La-fa-yay"?

..... I'm flunking this quiz, aren't I? :unsure:

My first instinct would be to say "La-fay-ET", or even "La-fee-ET"... but that would be too obvious... wouldn't it?

I think that's how we pronounced the name of General Lafayette when we studied the American Revolution in grade school ( insert sound of rusty, grinding gears as I try to think back that far ).

But wouldn't the French pronunciation be something more like "La-fa-yay"?

..... I'm flunking this quiz, aren't I? :unsure:

You're gracious to play along, 'fossil_femme'!

In undeveloped North Florida, Lafayette County is pronounced, "Luh.FAY.et" County.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Cris or Anson or Worthy. :unsure:

What seest thou else

Sounds right to me, thats like Alachua and some say it Alach-away :rolleyes: go figure. B)B)B):D

post-23-1243624189_thumb.png

It's my bone!!!

post-713-1243295408_thumb.jpgDo any Texas members know what this is? It was found near Study Butte, Texas. It is about 4" X 3 7/8"

very heavy and has a hide like appearance on one side. Hope these pics help.

post-713-1243296020_thumb.jpg

post-713-1243295487_thumb.jpg

Yours looks like mine and I was told on another site it was a turtle scute.

post-1726-1243638810_thumb.jpg

Thats the penny for your thoughts. :rolleyes:

Count your change :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

You're gracious to play along, 'fossil_femme'!

In undeveloped North Florida, Lafayette County is pronounced, "Luh.FAY.et" County.

never would have guessed that one!

we should start a separate topic on this subject, something like "Correct Mispronunciations".

or maybe "Correct Corruptions".

When I lived in Kentucky, Fayette was "FAY-et" and Lafayette was "La-FEE-et" (at least among the corn liquor swillin' hillbillies that I hung out with) :P

Yours looks like mine and I was told on another site it was a turtle scute.

[/quote

Yes, it does look very similar, but what is the piece extending out on the left side of your possible turtle scute ? I have

found turtle scutes in Texas ( found a couple miles from where my posted fossil was found) and they don't look alike.

they are smaller. about the size of your fossil. My fossil in question is about 5" X 5". On the scute the surface in indented on my posted fossil the texture is raised. So it is still a big ???? or just fancy mud cracks.

here is a photo of a scute (it's only half a scute) next to it...sorry not the best photo

post-713-1243912429_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I agree. Im not sure whats sticking out . Thats where I was confused . The turtle pieces Im used to seeing are broken off with the typical 5 sided shape. This one and another smaller one came from Texas and out of a shelter with a quite a few indian artifacts.

I have a piece similar to yours. You mentioned it's very heavy. heavy for a rock, or heavy like iron?

The one I have is iron pyrite (not the shiny gold variety, but the dull black-ish type found in austin chalk)

When the pyrite is formed, the crystalline structures look like small pyramids. As it erodes, they can look like small bumps, and like some type of skin pattern. I have several pyrites that are flat like that. The one I'm thinking of is about 3-4 inches wide/long and about 1/2 thick.

If you have a dremel tool, grind a very small part of it and see if it smells like sulphur. Also, as you grind, it will turn shiny black like hematite. It's also extremely hard to grind.

Other than that, I have no idea what it could be.

I'll try to find mine and post a picture.

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.