Chicago Trilobites

RCFossils

post-1202-1243300568_thumb.jpgpost-1202-1243300606_thumb.jpgLast week I visited an old collecting site just outside of Chicago with a friend of mine. It was originally the remnant of a dug out canal back in the late 1800s that hit bedrock and exposed a portion of the Niagaran Limestone. At one time this had been a very good collecting site for Silurian aged fossils. I beleive that several dozen species of trilobites and over 70 types of crinoids have been found in this area. It has been long neglected and the site was very overgrown but me and a friend of mine did manage to locate a productive site and collected quite a few trilobites, several crinoids and a few interesting nautoloids. I still have quite a bit of prep work but will attach a few pictures of some of the days finds. It definately pays off to check out some of the old collecting sites.

Rob

Ohhhh, those are so sweet :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Excellent fossil finds. I like those trilobites. Is the matrix dolomite?

Hi Ron, Yes it is a dolomitic limestone. I think it is the same cap rock as the Niagara Falls hence the name.

Guest solius symbiosus

Nice! Calymene celebra???

We have that same rock around here, though, it pinches out to the South due to an erosional unconformity.

I have a Sthenarocalymene celebra from many years ago, it was labelled as:

S.celebra

Springfield FMC

Wayne County, Indiana

I suppose that information is correct, isn't it?

Guest solius symbiosus
I have a Sthenarocalymene celebra from many years ago, it was labelled as:

S.celebra

Springfield FMC

Wayne County, Indiana

I suppose that information is correct, isn't it?

I would assume. Calymene sp is a genus that has been assigned to numerous different classifications throughout the years. I think that Sthenarocalymene is the most recent, but one still sees the use Calymene in publications... I would check the Treatise to be sure.

I would assume. Calymene sp is a genus that has been assigned to numerous different classifications throughout the years. I think that Sthenarocalymene is the most recent, but one still sees the use Calymene in publications... I would check the Treatise to be sure.

Thanks Solius.

Yes, it's true, Sthenarocalymene is the most recent.

According to this paper "RECLASSIFICATION OF A COMMON CALYMENID TRILOBITE FROM SILURIAN CARBONATE DEPOSITS OF SOUTHWESTERN OHIO" (i only have the abstract), it has been referred as Calymene celebra, Flexicalyemene celebra, Gravicalymene celebra, and Sthenarocalymene celebra.

Amazing how you can go to a site thats long forgotten and get some really cool fossils like those! Just amazing. Nice finds fella.

RB

very, very nice. and right near a town with two baseball teams. man. heaven.

Thanks for thew comments! It really does pay to investigate old collecting sites. Most of them will be disappointing but occasionally you might get lucky. I also have a partial arctinurus that was collected from this local.

Rob

Very nice .

Hunting fossils is fun , but discovering is better !