Any sites close to Auburn, NY?

RHoyle

I am going to be going to New York in September to kayak, visit the cornell lab of ornithology, and do some birding! The main place we will be staying is Auburn and I am wondering if there are any sites in the area that I could make a reasonable day trip to. I've heard that New York has some sweet Devonian era fossils.

About an hour and 20 minutes to the east, there is Deep Springs Road.

That is a farmer's quarry that has very diverse Middle Devonian fauna.

You can't swing a cat there without hitting fossils! ;)

There are 3 or 4 additional sites nearby.(within 7-30 minutes)

Check out this website.

Let me know if you need further info.
Good luck, and let us know how you do.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Yes, it does!

New York also has laws forbidding collecting rocks on State-owned land. You can't, alas, walk down to a creek in a state forest and fill a bag (legally). This only applies to land managed by the NYSDEC, though--there are some sites owned by City of Ithaca, Tompkins County, or Cornell where posted rules (if there are any) don't mention rock collecting. I treat these places as "surface float only" sites. I don't want to be responsible for damaging the scenery and getting the place closed to collectors!

When will you be in the area? If I'm around, I'd be happy to show you a few good spots! :D

Drop me a PM if you want to try to link up; I don't post my travel plans on public forum pages, and advise against doing so for anyone else.

• I found this Informative 1

@Mediospirifer

So public land is a no no but there are sites on which collecting is allowed? I'd definitely be interested in hooking up, though I have to figure out if I can drive the rental car we'll be getting.

State land is a no-no. Smaller, locally-run parks often don't regulate collecting, as long as you do no damage to the site. The state doesn't care about locally-managed places.

As an example, Ludlowville Falls is a small park in the village of Ludlowville. If you look it up on the web, a lot of sites mention fossil collecting there. :D To my knowledge, nobody cares if visitors carry out a bag of rocks as long as half the creekbed isn't disappearing. They probably don't want commercial collectors stripping the area, either.

Most of the sites I go to locally are like that.

@Mediospriter

Thank you for the clarification! I'm going to be discussing the plans with my mom and see what she has to say about it!

Route 38 north of Cascade, south of Auburn is a road cut with Middle Devonian fossils.

• I found this Informative 1