Mazon Creek Fauna

Nimravis

What a wonderful collection! You have some quite remarkable finds. Thank you for posting them- It gives me something to aspire to in my Mazon hunts.

Thanks- You never know whats going pop out of a concretion.

Fascinating.!!

I don't see much on here l wish to comment on

but I relish seeing unusual material from the mazon area

I know I'll NEVER collect there.

So it's a real treat to see unusual, "self collected" material like this

Thanks!

Edited by PRK

Fascinating.!!

I don't see much on here l wish to comment on

but I relish seeing unusual material from the mazon area

I know I'll NEVER collect there.

So it's a real treat to see unusual, "self collected" material like this

Thanks!

Thanks for the comments- the variety of fauna / flora that comes out of the concretions is amazing.

Welcome to the forum from another avid collector of Mazon Creek fossils.

You have some nice pieces. I especially like the Kottixerxes.

I would agree that your Thylacocephalan is a Convexicaris. They are rarer then Concavicaris.

• I found this Informative 1

Welcome to the forum from another avid collector of Mazon Creek fossils.

You have some nice pieces. I especially like the Kottixerxes.

Thanks- I do have another Kottixerxes, but not as nice.

I would agree that your Thylacocephalan is a Convexicaris. They are rarer then Concavicaris.

Thanks for verifying-

:faint::envy:

Spectacular collection. It shows what 25 years of popping nodules can reveal. I'm a relative noob when it comes to Mazon Creek fossils with only a handful of plant material and just a few interesting fauna other than Essexella 'blobs'. it was a great treat to see some of the rare things that can be found in Mazon Creek nodules. I used to live in the Chicagoland are before I moved to Florida and became interested again in collecting fossils as an adult. I make trips back to visit family a couple times a year and try to make a trip back at least one time each year when I can get out and scour the underbrush for some nodules. I'll next be up in November for the gluttonous holiday of giving thanks but by then it will be hunting season at Mazonia-Braidwood. Won't catch me rustling the bushes when the place is crawling with people dressed in camo or fluorescent orange itching to shoot something. :o

Truly awe inspiring (in the quite literal sense of the word). Thanks for sharing.

Cheers.

-Ken

The presentation of your collection is excellent, it feels like a visit to the museum. Nice work and thanks for sharing.

:faint::envy:

Spectacular collection. It shows what 25 years of popping nodules can reveal. I'm a relative noob when it comes to Mazon Creek fossils with only a handful of plant material and just a few interesting fauna other than Essexella 'blobs'. it was a great treat to see some of the rare things that can be found in Mazon Creek nodules. I used to live in the Chicagoland are before I moved to Florida and became interested again in collecting fossils as an adult. I make trips back to visit family a couple times a year and try to make a trip back at least one time each year when I can get out and scour the underbrush for some nodules. I'll next be up in November for the gluttonous holiday of giving thanks but by then it will be hunting season at Mazonia-Braidwood. Won't catch me rustling the bushes when the place is crawling with people dressed in camo or fluorescent orange itching to shoot something. :o

Truly awe inspiring (in the quite literal sense of the word). Thanks for sharing.

Cheers.

-Ken

Ken thanks for the comments- and so are so correct about hunters during that time of the year.

The presentation of your collection is excellent, it feels like a visit to the museum. Nice work and thanks for sharing.

Thanks Ken I appreciate your comment I wanted to make them as visually appealing as possible.

Awesome collection from another avid Mazon Creek collector. I agree that your Kottixerxes might be the best one in existence.

Evan

Awesome collection from another avid Mazon Creek collector. I agree that your Kottixerxes might be the best one in existence.

Evan

Evan- thanks for the comments- I do like the one.

• 2 years later...

Some of the best Mazon Creek fauna I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot (including the research collection at the FMNH). Absolutely the best I've seen in any private collection, and well presented. Thanks for the tour.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!