Hunting in the Bond Formation

matt2396

Let me preface this report by saying that I would never usually post something with this much text, however, I see this as a sort of introduction to other members of this site. Most of you are probably unfamiliar with me, so I will provide a little bit of backstory. Before I get stated, I would like to just thank everyone involved with TheFossilForum, be they moderators or just enthusiasts, for kick starting what I have come to think of as my new hobby/passion. I should say, if you are looking for any rare or eye-popping specimens, you have come to the wrong place. Aside from that, please enjoy the following report on my first true fossil hunt.

A couple of weeks ago, I accompanied my brother and one of this friends on a trip up to the very well-known Starved Rock State Park. After reading about the area and looking it over on maps, I decided that I would attempt to look for some fossils while we were nearby. In the days leading up to our trip, I did my best to study old ISGS field trip guidebooks from the LaSalle area, as well as someone’s paper written on a roadcut in the same area. I also used this site (http://ebeltz.net/fieldtrips/lasalle.html) to get information on the region’s geology, in fact, this webpage is where I first read about the cut.

Macon County, where I live, doesn’t have a whole lot to offer anyone interested in fossils. Ice Age glaciers have leveled and reset much of the landscape as recently as 20,000 years ago, leaving abandoned coal mines as the only place to view exposed bedrock (which have all probably been sealed off anyway). Although interesting things can be found in nearby fields and streams, the fossils I find in the best shape are typically nothing to write home about. With my interest in paleontology/geology having popped up in only the last couple of years, I hadn’t until recently thought about going on any sort of fossil hunt, therefore, I jumped at the chance.

So, after we got off I-39 at Oglesby, I had my brother drop me off at the side of the road, while they continued on toward to the Dells at Matthiessen State Park. After about 30 seconds of looking over the twelve foot high cut, I noticed a small brachiopod sitting on one of the ledges. I picked up the specimen of what I would later come to identify as Composita and stuffed it in my pocket. It was a great feeling, like finding a chipped arrowhead times ten. I quickly found a few other specimens, I believe they were also Composita. Even with a good start, I didn’t have too many more fossils in that great of shape when we left for Starved Rock. The trip was well worth it, however, even if only for the experience.

post-20849-0-57973000-1470175339_thumb.jpgpost-20849-0-83839700-1470175405_thumb.jpg

I only spent around an hour and a half at the roadcut that Saturday, so I knew I would have to return and give it another go. With fall classes about to begin, I wanted to try and get back up to LaSalle County before school resumes dominating my schedule. Staring at my mostly so-so finds from that day was only adding to my anticipation. So, a week after that fateful Saturday, I decided that I would be going on a solo trip up to Oglesby, leaving the next morning.

I left the house at eight and got to my first stop just under two hours later. Before leaving, I had seen only one picture of this cut, so I had no idea what to expect. I figured the typical mid-summer Illinois problems like ticks, mosquitos and thick vegetation would all be present, so I brought spray and long pants. Vegetation and ticks? No problem at all. My old friend the mosquito was there, but along with him were the most horrific flies I have ever encountered. I have no idea what they were, but they must have bitten me 40 times on my face alone. Just awful, I’m covered in bites.

post-20849-0-06006200-1470175506_thumb.jpg

All unpleasantness aside, I had a great time. It was my first true fossil hunt, and it will certainly be a very memorable one. As soon as I crossed the ditch in front of the cut, I noticed a wide variety of fossils cemented to an adjacent boulder. It is at this point in the report that I shamefully admit to taking just one close-up photo that day, my bad. I did, however, take a few pictures of my finds after I got back. I saw a few of the Pennsylvanian classics while I was up there: Linoproductus, Juresania, Composita, Antiquatonia, Echinaria, Punctospirifer.

post-20849-0-15523100-1470175604_thumb.jpgpost-20849-0-82117600-1470175645_thumb.jpgpost-20849-0-64005400-1470175712_thumb.jpgpost-20849-0-77811400-1470178311_thumb.jpg

Edited by matt2396
  • I found this Informative 1

After a little under three hours, I sat in my car and had lunch. When I finished, I figured I should get to my second stop. This cut, the same one I visited the previous Saturday, didn’t provide me with much of a haul. I probably grabbed all of the easy finds the week before. However, I did once again find some nice Composita, Crurithysis and Beecheria. But, after searching for once again just an hour and a half, I decided I should wrap up my trip and head to my final stop.

This last stop is certainly not a secret to anyone, but I figured it could still yield me something worth the short trip there. While heading south on 178, I turned onto the small road on the north side of the bridge at Lowell. I parked my car along the side of the road and walked down toward the canoe launch area. There, I walked along the exposed bedrock looking for fossils. The Ordovician limestone was full of worm burrows and large bryozoans. I nabbed a big chunk of it.

post-20849-0-82635700-1470177238_thumb.jpg

Although I wouldn’t pick up anymore fossils to take home, there was still something left to find. After a hundred or so more feet, I came upon what was undoubtedly my best find of the day. Sitting there on a big hunk of slumped down bank, was a dang near perfect spear. I was overjoyed.

post-20849-0-93008500-1470177260_thumb.jpg

I couldn't have asked for a better parting gift. To me, that last find was worth the entire trip.

Well, thanks for bearing with me as I ramble on, needless to say, I can’t wait until the next time I get out in the field. My dad has some genealogy research to do in Cincinnati, I think I may tag along. A little birdie told me about a spot nearby, something-Leon ;)

-Matt

• I found this Informative 2

Here are some of my other finds from that day. I don't know most of these ID's, so feel free to chime in if a name is missing or if i have incorrectly labeled anything.

post-20849-0-67978600-1470177554_thumb.jpg post-20849-0-99651700-1470177840_thumb.jpg

post-20849-0-69755400-1470177645_thumb.jpg post-20849-0-23092800-1470177820_thumb.jpg

The only good crinoid stem I saw

post-20849-0-74181000-1470177754_thumb.jpg post-20849-0-08035400-1470177774_thumb.jpg

post-20849-0-83701700-1470178006_thumb.jpg post-20849-0-25630300-1470178048_thumb.jpg

(almost) the entire haul

Great report and pictures -and finds.

Thanks for posting - a pleasure to read. :)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I forgot to mention, with the exception of the Ordovician bryozoans, all of these fossils were found in the LaSalle Limestone member of the Pennsylvanian aged Bond Formation, part of the gigantic McLeansboro Group.

That is a great point, Congrats! : )

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Nice finds! I like the Composita brachiopods.

Stephen

Great report! I've been to that second roadcut twice and it can produce a real delightful diversity of material- I've found a few partial shark teeth, a trilobite pygidium, rugose corals, and of course lots of brachiopods. It's definitely one worth revisiting! Congrats on that spearhead too, I've never been lucky enough to come across any Native American artifacts here in Illinois.

Edited by deutscheben

Nice trip report.

It's amazing how the limestone unit and fossil fauna resemble those several hundred miles away in Kansas City.

Context is critical.