Safe fossils vs non-safe ones.

Since I discovered last month that I got a fake fossil, I've been doing a lot of research on fake vs real fossils, which ones are commonly fabricated, etc. I've noticed that most fossil fabrications are done for fossils that are rare and more common fossils tend to be genuine as there enough to go around. I would like to share what I have found out! Please correct me if I am wrong about any of these! I am planning to purchase some fossils for myself and I would like to know for sure what's a safe bet and what's not.

Madagascar ammonites - Generally safe?

Wyoming Green River Fish - sometimes enhanced

Calymene Trilobites - Safe?

Elrathia Trilobites - Seem safe, not entirely sure.

Petrified Wood - Everywhere

Anything from Morroco - Risky

Anything from China - Risky

Spiny trilobites - Rare, many fakes.

Dinosaur Teeth - Misidentified often.

Fossil Ferns/Leaves - ???

Shark Teeth - ???

Mosasaurus Teeth (Not including the jaws.) - ???

Edited by RHoyle

Isn't it risky to say: anything from China and Morocco? As China is one of the largest countries in the World with so many real fossils being found there? Maybe it is better to specify which types of fossils?

RH, there of course always exceptions to the rule. It all depends on the types of fossils that you are looking for. Even fossils from your "safe" areas may be heavily "enhanced" to be more aesthetically appealing (set in an artificial matrix, colored, filled in, etc.). Everything should be scrutinized to the highest degree before purchase.

It is always best to have the item in hand for the best examination. Even experts have been fooled via photographs.

After a while, one begins to acquire an eye for spotting fakes and repairs. "The more you know".

I don't think it's fair to single out specific countries of origin and say they are all to be considered fakes. Yes, some have a reputation for having cottage industries that pour out replicas by the truck load, but they also have many quality real fossils to be had. Study what you are looking at and buy wisely. If you see a box of trilobites that are very exotic looking and they are all in the exact position in the middle of the plate selling for only $10. (normally sold for thousands) you should probably walk away.

• I found this Informative 4

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I myself have 'real' fossils from both Morocco and china, but to be fair, I also have a handful of fakes, or to be more accurate, real fossils put together making it a fake.

RB

IMO the only truly "safe" fossils are the ones You find Yourself, everything else is suspect.

That's a good point of view,Tony...Bought fossils (I have some, also) are a risk.

Some of them are not real, others were "enhanced" (as caldigger referred)....

The only two purchased fossils I own came from China and the other probably Morocco. I have a Lycopteria davidi from the Rebes Formation that I'm pretty sure is real, but I'm unsure about the other, a trilobite that I have always assumed was found in Morocco.

Most fossils sold are real but there are risky areas which you've identified and there are exceptions to any list. My suggestion is that until you become well versed on real versus fake you post it here on the forum. There is a lot of experience on this forum and answers are quick to come.

My biggest concern with fossils is not fake versus real but proper identification of REAL fossils. It really depends on the area you looking at collecting. So please don't assume sellers are all experts in what they are selling. There are a number of members I've helped identify dinosaur material, in their collection, that was misidentified.

Edited by Troodon
  • I found this Informative 5

Dinosaur teeth for the most part are fairly safe. Sure some from Morrocco are enhanced such as restoration and composites. I think the biggest problem with dinosaur teeth is a misidentification on what species the tooth comes from and poor location. Like any fossil you buy, you need to read up and learn how to correctly ID it.

Green River Fish aren't always safe either. Sometimes missing parts of the fish are painted onto the matrix.

In my opinion, I don't think any fossil should be placed in the safe category as there's always enhancements and fakes out there. It's important to become well versed in what you're buying before you make the purchase.

Edited by Runner64

Thank you for all the feedback! I'll be sure to post before I make the purchases I am thinking of making! I agree that the only truly safe fossils are the ones you collect yourself. Alas, there are a lot of locations the world over that I cannot reach myself.

I got a big box of fossils from Kem Kem from a friend who's a dealer for €200. He goes out there twice a year to buy. He deals in the high end stuff so picked what he wanted and couldn't be bothered to go through the rest. All genuine but more than a few have very difficult matrix to remove. When I do manage to remove it (physically and chemically) I find pretty poor repairs. Matrix on individual fossils that's easy to remove in my experience from the box is fine and doesn't cover anything. I'm happy with my box, 250+ teeth and lots of bones I've not even looked at. No composites and some pretty good stuff. No complaints from me but you do have to be very wary of some of the stuff coming out of Morocco. Just my limited uexperience.

This discussion has made me curious as to whether or not my purchased trilobite is genuine. Could you guys let me know? Thanks

post-20849-0-65588800-1470780397_thumb.jpg post-20849-0-58032200-1470780425_thumb.jpg post-20849-0-98285500-1470780439_thumb.jpg

The trilobite is: Hollardops mesocristata

I trust at a 100 % in Piranha's opinion about trilos, so my Id is probably not correct, matt :) .

I've also to say that after research it further I noticed that there are some caracteristics on Mrakbina sp. that don't match with your specimen (the pygidium details, for example).

Regards,

Edited by Guguita2104
  • I found this Informative 1

Its hard to classify things in categories as to whats real and whats not. I love Dinosaur eggs- they're one of the most faked fossils out there. I bought real ones and I unknowingly bought fake ones. I've paid a lot of money for some good fakes, and have gotten some of my nicest authentic ones for next to nothing.

Your best bet is to have someone who collects and knows about the specific type of fossil that you like look at it before you purchase it. I've posted many fossils on this forum both before and after i've purchased them. The Fossil Forum will be one of your greatest resources on opinions of quality and authenticity.

I am not a big fan of the word 'safe'. Morrison Fm bones loaded with uranium are potentially not safe. That's all on that rant.

Another thing some folks do with Green River fish is take a special fish and inlay it into a larger special piece of rock. In my eye, this is cheating. This is how many of the sting rays that you see that are surrounded by other fish end up on such nice slabs.

I would say mosasaur tooth crowns are fairly safe. The teeth themselves are rarely faked though often misidentified. The rooted teeth and "jaws" are the ones you have to look out for. Those are generally suspect. There are probably more fake "jaws" on the market than real ones.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

I am not a big fan of the word 'safe'. Morrison Fm bones loaded with uranium are potentially not safe. That's all on that rant.

Another thing some folks do with Green River fish is take a special fish and inlay it into a larger special piece of rock. In my eye, this is cheating. This is how many of the sting rays that you see that are surrounded by other fish end up on such nice slabs.

I read in the book Rising From the Plains that when drivers go through the I-80 tunnel at Green River, WY, they get a little dose of uranium. I always thought that was so cool.

Most, if not all, of the agate found in the western United States will fluoresce a bright green. This is because of minute traces of uranium in them.

Worse yet-- in the southwest, where most uranium mines are, it was common practice to use the radioactive tailings to make cement.

Tony

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

@lordtrilobite

The fake fossil I purchased was actually a Mosasaurus jaw. I definitely learned a lesson from that one! I'd still like to get the teeth out of the matrix at some point.

@lordtrilobite

The fake fossil I purchased was actually a Mosasaurus jaw. I definitely learned a lesson from that one! I'd still like to get the teeth out of the matrix at some point.

Just put the whole thing in a bucket of water. I believe the glue is water soluable, and everything else will dissolve apart.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me