Identifying Moroccan Theropod Claws

Troodon

A current post was asking about the identification of a Spinosaurus foot claw and indicated that he had seen some Carcharodontosaurus claws that looked similiar from sellers.  I've seen the same where there seems to be some confusion what they look like.   Hopfully this topic can help clarify the two.   

Spinosaurid Foot Claws 

Since there is more than one Spinosaur in the Kem Kem, two are currently described and there may be more, who knows, we can only identify them has Spinosaurid indet.  They are very triangular in shape and the ventral surface is very flat. The good news here is that we have scientific evidence to help with identification.  These claws also have a tendon attachment point depression on that bottom surface, red circle on photo.  

Screenshot_20160902-151812_20160902153342841.jpg

This image comes from the paper that re-described Spinosaurus.  

post-10955-0-35055600-1410473402.jpg

Ones in my collection

SpinoFoot1b.jpgSpinoFoot1a.jpgSpinoFoot1.jpg

Carcharodontosaurid Foot Claws

Similiar to Spinosaurus there is strong evidence we have more than one Carcharodontosaurus in the Kem Kem so an ID should be at the family level.   Not much published on this one because I'm not aware of any articulated claws found so understanding what they look like is a bit more problematic.   But we have evidence that can point us part of the way there.   First they are closely related to Allosaurids so the claws are very different than Spinosaurids, more recurved.  Second we can look at other geographic areas to see if any claws have been discovered.  We are fortunate that a Carcharodontosaurid from Argentina Tyrannotitan chubutensis was found with one and can be used for comparative purposes.

Screenshot_20160903-042622.jpg

Museum mounts of Carcharodontosaurids also show this type of claw.  A bit recurved and big.

Giganotosaurus_carolinii_DSC_2950 (1).jpg

Here is a claw in my collection that may be one it has some resemblances to those shown above.

post-10935-0-59954500-1441800420.jpgpost-10935-0-56410200-1441800413.jpg

Abelisaurid Foot Claws 

Not a lot published on these type of claws but the morphology is typically of what an Abelisaurid foot claw would resemble.

Screenshot_20160903-051702.jpg

From my collection

Abel1a.jpgAbel1.jpg

• I found this Informative 11

Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge with us, Troodon!   :).     

I would love one of these topics on Hell Creek and Lance Formation claws when you have time. :wub::hammer01:

Can try to put something together.   Not an easy task since so little is published or described from that locality.  

However I already started with this little known theropod.

• I found this Informative 2

Spinosaurid Hand Claws

Very distinctive with the flare on the articulation surface.   These claws can get huge and approach 10"

Spino1a.jpg

Multiple species exist.  Smaller specimens might not be juvenile just a different species.

Spino2.jpg

Carcharodontosaurid Hand Claw

I have no publications on the next claw, not aware that any Carch hand claws have been found with skeletons, in any hemisphere.   I'm using some deductive reasoning but it's a guess.  First, Carch's are distantly related to Allosauruids and the claw is similiar to their hand claws.  Second it's a large claw and to-date there are no other large bodied theropod theropods that it could fit.  

Carch1.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

11 hours ago, Troodon said:

This is the largest Spinosaurid hand claw I've seen 10" (25cm)   :ighappy:

Spino1.jpg

WOW, that is one nice claw!!

But then so are all of the others that You have shown!

Tony

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Another fantastic thread mate, they are so informative and educational, thanks for sharing your knowledge and the photos of your terrific fossils.

• 7 years later...