Show us your Carboniferous Vertebrate fossils

Strepsodus

Hi.  Here are my best Carboniferous vertebrate fossils.  All of these were found by myself.  Sorry for the poor quality photos, I'll try to post better ones later.  

Please post pictures of your best Carboniferous vertebrate fossils.

Thanks,

Daniel

1.  Fish bone from Cumbria, UK.  Probably a Rhizodont skull piece.  Pennine Middle Coal Measures formation.

image.jpg

2.  Rhizodont scale from Cumbria, UK.  The detail on this one is amazing.  Pennine Middle Coal Measures formation.

image.jpg

6.  Rhizodont skull plate from Cumbria, UK.  Pennine Middle Coal Measures formation.  It's quite large and its in perfect condition.

image.jpg

7.  Helodus affinis shark tooth from West Yorkshire, UK.  Pennine Middle Coal Measures formation.

image.jpg

8.  3 fish skull pieces from the same fish.  Found in West Yorkshire, UK.  Pennine Middle Coal Measures formation.  The first one looks like a jaw with teeth but the 'teeth' are actually marks made during preparation.

image.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Strepsodus

9.  Skull bone from West Yorkshire, UK.  Pennine Lower Coal Measures formation.  Probably fish but it could be from an amphibian.

image.jpg

10.  Helodus rankinei shark tooth from West Yorkshire, UK.  Pennine Middle Coal Measures formation.

image.jpg

Edited by Strepsodus

Unfortunately, I have no Carboniferous vertebrates. 

Nice finds, indeed, Daniel. :)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

15 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Unfortunately, I have no Carboniferous vertebrates. 

Nice finds, indeed, Daniel. :)

Regards,

Thanks

50 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

You have an amazing eye for finding such small specimens Daniel. Well done, a great collection :dinothumb:

Thanks.  

Those are  great specimens. Finding skull bits that old are like finding diamonds.

We have more or less unlimited late Devonian/ early Carboniferous exposures to the east of us in the Rocky Mountains.  However, its all Marine. No coal, etc.  So no terrestrial reptiles, amphibians.

I find lots of Carboniferous  shark teeth but  I'd have a hard time recognizing much of anything else, especially any skull elements.  I have collected chunks of rock with fish (shark?) scales but a bit enigmatic as to what they are.

The shark teeth I find are in exposures that havent been studied so I identify them tentatively to genus using older British publications by Woodward, etc.

Anyways, next time out I'll have to look a bit closer at some of the glossy black shapes on the Carboniferous limestone matrix. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12 September 2016 at 10:11 PM, Canadawest said:

Those are  great specimens. Finding skull bits that old are like finding diamonds.

We have more or less unlimited late Devonian/ early Carboniferous exposures to the east of us in the Rocky Mountains.  However, its all Marine. No coal, etc.  So no terrestrial reptiles, amphibians.

I find lots of Carboniferous  shark teeth but  I'd have a hard time recognizing much of anything else, especially any skull elements.  I have collected chunks of rock with fish (shark?) scales but a bit enigmatic as to what they are.

The shark teeth I find are in exposures that havent been studied so I identify them tentatively to genus using older British publications by Woodward, etc.

Anyways, next time out I'll have to look a bit closer at some of the glossy black shapes on the Carboniferous limestone matrix. 

Hi.  Thanks for the reply.  If you PM me I may be able to identify some of your finds.

Daniel