Back on the chain gang

caldigger

OK, I finally took a camera with me on this one. 
For the past year, I have visited an area about an hour south of me that is a source for Great White teeth and other marine animal parts. But for the most part, GW teeth is the majority of what is found.  Now the location is perched on a steep hillside about 7 miles inland of the Pacific Ocean.  It was a deposit that had been cut through by a river and re-deposited in a different location, much like many of the sites along the east coast are now.  However, the redeposition was done a very long time ago.
It is found about 200 feet above the valley floor and goes up at an angle due to faulting (what else would you expect in California, the land of earthquakes?) The formation consists of what I can easily call cemented gravel (heavy emphasis on the cement part!)  I only have a hand pick and a trench trowel (folding shovel) to somehow work my way through that "rock".  It doesn't take long swinging a pick with one hand to wear you out. By the end of the day, My arm feels like limp spaghetti.
Because this ground is so hard and worked by river action, finding a whole tooth with roots intact is something of a rarity. Mostly you will find shards of crown enamel or the teeth are so worn they have no serrations at all.  I had worked a hole for a while only to figure out the actual deposit was about 12" below the floor of my pit.  Did I mention the deposit goes up at an angle? Missed it!!!!  OH MAN! I had to backtrack removing my tailing pile and having to re dig the hole to a lower level.  Did I mention the humidity was about 105%? I was completely drenched in sweat. Nobody said fossil hunting was easy work!!!!

The first photos are the small hole I had to dig to establish the fossil layer once the tailings were removed.  Believe me that ground is much harder than it looks.  Guess I can skip the gym this week!  Last photo is the day's tally. All Great Whites except for a small Cow Shark tooth. The top tooth on the left is 2 1/8" there is a small tooth in matrix at the bottom (note there is no root). I was lucky enough to get three with whole roots this trip.
Thank you for putting up with my rabbling.
Doren/ caldigger

SAM_3418.JPG

SAM_3419.JPG

SAM_3422.JPG

Edited by caldigger
  • I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Very nice Doran. That little Cow Shark is great. 

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

The trials we endure through the hunt! 

Excellent report and great finds, Doren. 
Thanks for posting. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hey! Great teeth.  Its neat to see how the area looks where you are hunting.  So different from the dredge piles I'm used to.  Thanks for sharing. 

Luck is the most important skill of a fossil diver.

" Nobody said fossil hunting was easy work!!!! "

Hahaha ... remind me to regale you about the time I went down into the creeks in Gainesville Florida with-out my mosquito repellent.  We suffer for what again ?

Amazing teeth.

Cheers,

B

Nice!!! Well worth the story. Even you can find junk in the hills. I guess what you find is better then nothing!!! Keep digging!! :)

BACK TO THE BREECH!  Well the next week I went back down to attempt finishing the layer I exposed.  However, with much tiring pounding at the rocks I came up almost completely void of any teeth.  I did obtain several vertebras, a dolphin inner ear bone, a whale bulla, and a small anterior tooth at the very end of the day.  There is still about four feet to go on this hole which I will need to save for yet another day.  Hopefully I can hit some teeth again the next trip.

SAM_3450.JPG

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

24 minutes ago, caldigger said:

BACK TO THE BREECH!  Well the next week I went back down to attempt finishing the layer I exposed.  However, with much tiring pounding at the rocks I came up almost completely void of any teeth.  I did obtain several vertebras, a dolphin inner ear bone, a whale bulla, and a small anterior tooth at the very end of the day.  There is still about four feet to go on this hole which I will need to save for yet another day.  Hopefully I can hit some teeth again the next trip.

SAM_3450.JPG

Those verts, tho :wub:

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Nice! What is the size of the whale bulla? Do you have some refs to ID it ?( just because I also found one ( identified as such) this summer ...)

Therry, the bulla is about 8cm long.  I'm not sure if it can be positively ID'd.   It is missing some of it's elements. The bullas that I have found here as well as this one have the strength of hard candy and tend to shatter quite easily. This one broke into three pieces removing it from the ground before I repaired it.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Hard candy it may be , but surely candy to the eye , Doren !These look really nice and shiny.Mine is 4 cm long , so it would be somewhat consistent with an Dolphin ID rather than whale ...

• 7 months later...

What a story indeed.

On 9/6/2016 at 8:10 PM, Twinlukers said:

Nice!!! Well worth the story. Even you can find junk in the hills. I guess what you find is better then nothing!!! Keep digging!! :)

Nice finds and I like it when some one else has to dig the material out, not just me.

Mike D'Arcy