Unknown NJ Brook Find

wetwilly

Hi,

Had this item for awhile and still unsure if it's something. (approx - 7/8").   Looks like a concretion one day, and then I see characteristics of something other days. ????

Thanks for the help.

IMG_5500.JPG

IMG_5501.JPG

Bill

If it is a concretion ...its rather a odd looking one...maybe try taking a few shots of the sides of it. 

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

1 minute ago, Kane said:

Is it metallic? The sheen is throwing me off, almost making it appear like iron slag.

I see the same thing also ....but the picture is not all that good....Sorry Wetwilly....:(

Tony

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

Yeah... I figured as much, but i needed to confirm.  I will take some more pics later on today.

Took me awhile  - but I got it Rockwood B)

Kane - it does resemble slag to me as well....

The Brooks are definitely like a box of chocolates!:blink:

Thanks for the replies.

Bill

11 minutes ago, wetwilly said:

Yeah... I figured as much, but i needed to confirm.  I will take some more pics later on today.

Took me awhile  - but I got it Rockwood B)

Kane - it does resemble slag to me as well....

The Brooks are definitely like a box of chocolates!:blink:

Thanks for the replies.

You never know what you're gonna get ;)

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

1 hour ago, njfossilhunter said:

If it is a concretion ...its rather a odd looking one...maybe try taking a few shots of the sides of it. 

1 hour ago, Kane said:

Is it metallic? The sheen is throwing me off, almost making it appear like iron slag.

1 hour ago, njfossilhunter said:

I see the same thing also ....but the picture is not all that good....Sorry Wetwilly....:(

Or an iron slag concretion bit of ammonite ?;)

IMG_5500.thumb.JPG.dd4c1f78b607954ef737915afa24a0fd.JPG

But with photos less blurry and from all the parts of it, it would be better.:)

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

It's definitely not a slag. I am leaning more and more towards an ammonite because of those ribs on which of some you can see a kind of fork on the external ridge. But what bothers me are those parallel strias cutting the ribs at a right angle. Patterns that show it is another kind of shell ?

I am sorry, but i won't be able to help you further o  this.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Even with the last two pic's which are much better... I really can't make out anything that will tell me what it is....But like the others say ..it doesn't look like slag to me either. maybe with the fossil in hand I might be able to come up with something. are you going to be at Ram Brook on the 9th of October ??? if so bring it with you. 

Tony

It is a piece of a shark centrum. The ribbed side is from the inside of the centrum, not normally seen. The smooth side is part of the inverted cone that is present on both sides of a complete centrum.

• I found this Informative 7

46 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

It is a piece of a shark centrum. The ribbed side is from the inside of the centrum, not normally seen. The smooth side is part of the inverted cone that is present on both sides of a complete centrum.

Dang.......You have a keen eye to see that....:)

Tony

Al Dente ...That is an amazing observation. I was obviously concentrating on the wrong side to id this piece.   

Love this forum.  

Thanks!

Bill