Id:okinawan fossils in limestone

fossiling

Hi guys, 

I'm new to the forum .I found three okinawan fossils in limestone.Can anyone help me Id them?

1474282156566.jpg

1474282183629.jpg

Keep looking! They're everywhere!

Forgot this. 

Regards, 

Ho Lam .

1474282426818.jpg

Keep looking! They're everywhere!

Welcome to the forum.

The first is coral, the second is too tiny for me to make out, but the last is a brachiopod. I don't know enough about the area to give a more precise, species-level ID than that :(

If you are collecting in Okinawa, it will be mostly quaternary deposits, before the Pleistocene. I could not locate much, but here is a paper on echinoids fond in the area: http://pubs.usgs.gov/pp/0264c/report.pdf

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Welcome to the Forum !
The first one is a scleractinian coral, the last one probably a bivalve.

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

On 9/19/2016 at 6:53 PM, fossiling said:

Hi guys, 

I'm new to the forum .I found three okinawan fossils in limestone.Can anyone help me Id them?

Where in Okinawa did you find them? I have also hunted in Okinawa but probably not the same place. You can find geological age maps from Japan here: https://gbank.gsj.jp/seamless/download/downloadIndex_e.html

Do you have a macro photo of your second item? It is very hard to see. If the surface on the left is star-shaped, I would guess that it is a blastoid (海蕾).

Could you please post  better pictures of the two specimens ?

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Thank you for the pictures.
It is now clearly visible that the first of these two is a valve of a fossil bivalve. I'm going with a pectinid (scallop), not Pecten\Decatopecten\etc., but Chlamys sp.

1,2,4,5,7,8,9 of Fig. 10 from Molluscan fossils from the Ryukyu Islands,Southwest Japan : Part 4, Gastropoda and Pelecypoda from the Nakoshi Formation in the Motobu Peninsula,Okinawa-jimam - Hiroshi Noda, 2002

4.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Thomas Mann

My Library

On 9/22/2016 at 7:17 PM, fossiling said:

I found them on the okinawa mainland,on the largest island there.:fistbump:

屋我地島? 古宇利島? 今歸仁? Or somewhere else? You can refer to the link I posted above to find the geological age. Okinawa has many different ages mixed together in close proximity, so you'd have to be specific about the location to find the correct age. I remember spending a long and confusing time finding the age of the fossils I found ;(

3 hours ago, fossiling said:

for some reason i cant get the maps...

Let me explain better. I had problem figuring it out the first time too.

1. When you open the link, you see a map of Japan with many numbered rectangles on it. You need to figure out which rectangle your fossil site belongs to and click on it.

2. It may not be obvious, but a table would now appear on the top center. You can choose to download the basic or detailed map.

3. To the right of the table, you will see "legend". Download the basic or detailed legend according to the kind of map you chose. The legend will tell you which color on the map means which age.